Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sligh buck down

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
So I found this buck this summer running cams in early July, knew he had some growing to do and knew he was big. This is on a very small farm with very little management before. Super pumped to get this pic. Then, got many more about a month later as he put some length on....
picture.php

LATER
picture.php

Later, come Oct 1, I sat on Observation spot with correct wind. Had him come out 30 mins before dark to a Dbltree mix, some turnips/radishes, another area of clover/alfalfa & some of the rye/oats/radish/peas/clover, etc. North of that I had beans & I did plant some late so some were green. between acorns & the buffet, he didn't move much. This area is completely surrounded by egyptian wheat & deer feel very secure. Plus- we don't mess with them, leave scent or go in there hardly at all. This pic shows more the radish & turnip part. I was on to the dude, I know what he was doing.
picture.php

Oct 1 he was at 80 yards for me before dark- I was happy, didn't need to push him. I knew exactly where he was bedding (confirmed) & knew where going. I snuck a cam out there on lunch break (hate scent & intrusion BUT decided to push it)... Sure enough, he was somewhat consistent. Some way too late though. I figured Friday was the cold day we needed. My bro wanted to hunt him so we strategized on the best spot. I had a tree or area I thought was best & he agreed and hung that spot & the wind was right/. I let him know he'd probably see him 20 mins before end of shooting light. YEP- that's what happened. He played the script & timed it perfect!!! 15 yard shot!!! Waited til morning, JUST IN CASE, found 75 yards from stand (crows were going nuts on him!!!! That's how we found him so fast, I walked to flock of crows)......
picture.php

picture.php

We had estimated him at 6 or 7 but after, we really think he's 5.5. For sure not younger. 5.5 is our thoughts, 6.5 could be possible but leaning on 5. We will be getting him aged.
We did rough score him & went very conservative & actually rounded DOWN to just make sure it was conservative. Little over 16" G2's, 26.5" beans, 20.75" inside spread, 5.5 &6" bases. With everything tallied up & being very conservative, he was 180". Likely, if we did have him scored he'd pry go a touch higher since we rounded down. In any case, I suppose none of cares too much anyways though. Just happy a TON OF HARD WORK paid off & I had spent a ton of time figuring this rascal out. We are all really happy & worked out perfectly. Checking my cams tonight, there's a huge inventory of amazing 3-4 year olds on this place that will be mega giants in a couple years or whatever and one more monster that I have sheds from that I can't get on cam. So, long season ahead, I'll have some fun coming up shooting some does & maybe get a crack at an old bully buck in the meantime. Ain't no "Fred Buck" but dang happy & proud we put it together and really hoping you all the best as well and I have a feeling we're gonna see a ton of monsters on here this year!! Good luck!

Last edited:
That buck has one awesome shape to his rack. Talk about some length - man what a buck.:way:

If that second photo isn't enough to get one's blood boiling then I don't know what is! Holy smokes, what an awesome buck - congrats to both of you for your team effort! :way:

-Longspurs-

Damn nice buck..congrats to you guys.. my girlfriend says youll have to mount him in a full sneak just so the rack doesnt hit the ceiling.. ha

Top Bottom