Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Smokehouse

I am interested in making my own deer sausage and smoking it. Does anyone here smoke there own deer sausage? Do you have any pictures of your smokers or smokehouses?

I have a horizon horizontal smoker but am interested in building a vertical smoker that I could hang meat in while smoking.

I just started making my own last year. Have two master built electrics. Wish I would have started years ago. The 4 year old daughter was begging me to get a doe for sticks, which is an awesome feeling.

If you haven't already looked Google smoking meat forum. They have a lifetime of information and you'll probably get a lot of responses if you post in there. I have about 30 lbs of ground deer to eventually make sticks. Will have to try and take picks if you still need them. Unfortunately I think mine is like yours, I just lay them for now.

I've heard of some guys getting a stainless rod and hanging them but unfortunately you cut down the amount you can get in there.

Smoking meat forums. Read a lot on that. I got a master built smoker last year and love it. Already had a LEM grinder and a stuffer. One thing that made a huge diff for me was a good remote thermometer that wAs dual probe. One for the smoker temp and one for meat. Good luck!

One thing that made a huge diff for me was a good remote thermometer that wAs dual probe. One for the smoker temp and one for meat. Good luck!

Ditto. Smoker air temp can be different than what is reading on the thermometers they put on there. If you get/build an electric with a digital thermostat, it might regulate the temp better so you wouldn't need the probe for the air temp. I have a vertical gas smoker (not sure on the brand, but came from Lowes I think), a horizontal offset charcoal, and a horizontal pellet smoker. Haven't smoked sticks or jerky yet, but did do some stuffed meatballs last year (pics in my albums).

I just started making my own last year. Have two master built electrics. Wish I would have started years ago. The 4 year old daughter was begging me to get a doe for sticks, which is an awesome feeling.

If you haven't already looked Google smoking meat forum. They have a lifetime of information and you'll probably get a lot of responses if you post in there. I have about 30 lbs of ground deer to eventually make sticks. Will have to try and take picks if you still need them. Unfortunately I think mine is like yours, I just lay them for now.

I've heard of some guys getting a stainless rod and hanging them but unfortunately you cut down the amount you can get in there.

I would think you could get more in if hanging them in a vertical smoker. Maybe not.

I just have the racks out while I'm stuffing and zig-zag then back and forth until I have a full tray. I was going to hang but was concerned about the ends hanging closest to the heat source. I suppose I could flip them as I do rotate the racks with the way I do it now so they don't dry out.

Does anyone hang them in a master built electric have any input? Maybe you could get more but you would have a lot more ends to tie or crimp vs one long winding strip. In the end I'm sure both methods work fine.

I use a Masterbuilt propane. I did sticks and summer sausage last year. I did it both ways. Laying on rack and hanging. They both work fine but if u hang u really gotta keep rotating if u really fill it up. I had a handful of ends get a little dry. I did like just making one giant coil and laying it on the rack. Cooks the same from what I saw. I like the propane just for the fact u can get a big smoker for about half that if electric. And it really doesn't go through a lot of gas. A good grinder, stuffer, and slicer will make the world of difference on processing too.

We took a non working 2 door commercial freezer & removed all of the refrigeration components. You just have a big metal box to do anything you want. Wire shelves are already there & can be moved. Then took a Traeger pellet grill burner assembly & mounted it to the left hand side. And put a stack out of the roof on the far right side. Works great.

I am a master taste tester of deer sticks- be sure to send them my way and I will give them the stamp of approval. Be sure to send plenty- sometimes I need seconds and thirds to really be sure!

We took a non working 2 door commercial freezer & removed all of the refrigeration components. You just have a big metal box to do anything you want. Wire shelves are already there & can be moved. Then took a Traeger pellet grill burner assembly & mounted it to the left hand side. And put a stack out of the roof on the far right side. Works great.

Nice! I have been wanting a vertical pellet smoker (not that I need any more), and had the same idea, only starting with something smaller than a freezer. Probably don't need that much space! Maybe with one of those, I'd get rid of a couple of the others.

I just have the racks out while I'm stuffing and zig-zag then back and forth until I have a full tray. I was going to hang but was concerned about the ends hanging closest to the heat source. I suppose I could flip them as I do rotate the racks with the way I do it now so they don't dry out.

Does anyone hang them in a master built electric have any input? Maybe you could get more but you would have a lot more ends to tie or crimp vs one long winding strip. In the end I'm sure both methods work fine.
I wasn't thinking about one long winding stick. I thought you were doing several individual sticks per rack. I was thinking by tying or twisting two together, you coudl just hang them thru the racks and you could use more of the space in the smoker. Would have to remove some racks. Rotating might be easier with them flat on the rack. I've only made them in the oven laying flat.

When I hung them I just twisted the casings so they could hang. With one continuous string I just cut them to size when they are done. Works and tasted good either way though. Can't wait to fire it up again this fall.

Top Bottom