Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Smoker Recipes

baggin_bucks

Received my smoker I've been wanting from Santa. I have a deer roast and some backstraps I'm wanting to try in it. Anyone have any recipes or suggestions on what to use for a rub or marinade?

I'm curious too. I've been playing with a smoker for about a year now and the main thing I've learned is that it is very easy to dry out a lean cut of meat like deer. Its also real easy to over smoke meats. The next roast I do, I'm gonna wrap in bacon and lightly smoke for an hour or so, then wrap the whole thing in aluminum foil and finish in the smoker to retain moisture.

I have had a Brinkman smoker for 5+ years. The best thing that happened was getting the electric element upgrade as a Christmas present a couple of years ago. But that was not your question. I wish I had some great recipes to share. It seems like the most use I get from my Brinkman these days is curing jerky and dehydrating/smoking jalapeño peppers (making chipotles).

I too found it very easy to over dry venison when smoking it. Now, I intentionally keep the time in the smoker short and figure that I can finish the meat in the microwave or oven after getting the smoke flavor. I do like my venison quite rare, so the “finish” cooking is usually only done for the kids.

I thought that smoking might be the best approach for dealing with the less desirable cuts of meat like the ribs. The temperature in the Brinkman doesn’t get high enough to melt the fat out of the meat, so you wind up with “Chap stick” lips after eating it and it can be a little gamey. One successful rib batch was over smoked to the point of being dry, then immersing the ribs in a barbecue sauce. Bake the ribs for about an hour or two in the barbecue sauce and then cool. The fat comes to the top and can be skimmed off. One of my favorite sauces came from a little mutton/goat rib barbecue joint located in western Kentucky. This is obviously a thin vinegar sauce which is popular in that region.

Barbecue sauce:
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup Ketchup
2 cups water
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper

Combine ingredients and bring to boil, pour over meat. If you cook this sauce too long, you drive off the vinegar (just a fair warning that the flavor can change). You can shred (chip) the meat into this sauce so that it picks up more flavor. Serve with freshly sliced Vidalia onions and white bread.

I need to experiment with some rubs but I have so many other uses for the better cuts that I’d rather not attempt to smoke them. If somebody has a smoker recipe for ribs, let me know because I don’t have a good use for them at the present time.

Nobody else is responding so i guess i'll try. This is an old jerky recipe that works on any red meat, but is great for venison. Ingrediants for the marinade are liquid smoke, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, jar of jalapeno peppers, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and Hi Mountain Jerky Cure and Seasoning(this can be found at most Super Wal Marts or Cabela's)
Slice meat into about 3/16 inch thick; removing all fat; gristle; etc. Per pound of meat use 1 TBS each of liquid smoke, soy, and worcestershire sauce and combine with about 1/4 to 1/3 jar of jalapeno peppers (including juice) per batch.
Marinade the meat; mixing it up twice a day or every 12 hrs. while keeping it refridgerated. The marinade takes 2 to 4 days or until all the pink color is gone in the meat.
Mix up the Hi Mountain Season and Cure according to directions included in the box for whole muscle meat. I add about a TBS of black pepper and a TSP of cayenne pepper to this mix, but that is to taste. Follow directions for applying to meat. Don't follow directions about making sure the meat is dry; leave all the marinade on. Cure time is at least 24 hrs. and with thicker sliced meat more.
Smoke meat in your smoker with hickory chips or whatever for about 30 minutes on each side making sure your heat stays in the ideal range. I use both trays and flip after 30 minutes.
After the meat is removed from the smoker; dry out the rest of the way following the directions on the Hi Mountain box, basically in the oven directly on oven racks or cookie sheets (recommended if you are married). Have the oven preheated at 200 degrees with the oven door cracked. If you have a self-cleaning oven, the pulling the bar over with the door open works well. Dry in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes; then flip meat and dry for another 20 to 30 minutes. Place in zip lock bag or sealed bags immediately after removing from the oven. This retains what moisture is left in the jerky and gives a softness i like. This freezes well and will last in the fridge for about 4 or 5 days. I hope this will get you started to making your own great jerky. It sounds harder than what it really is, and the recipe changes slightly every time i make it. I usually use the hind quarters for this, and do 1 quarter at a time.

Thanks for the advise guys keep the recipes coming.
JNRBRONC, I have been around the charcoal smokers with friends and family and wasn't to happy with trying to keep the temp from flucuating. So I put this one on the Christmas list. Digital temp readout, it's kind of like the annoying "set it and forget it" rotisserie infomercial.
grin.gif

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602009-cat20120&id=0034425516721a&navCount=1&podId=0034425&parentId=cat20120&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=UG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20120&hasJS=true

Top Bottom