Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Snaring

deadeye50yds

Ok I know it is early for trapping but I'm try to make some of my own snares here are a few pictures of the one I just made, sense I'm new to trapping I want to make sure its legal, if any of you out there have any tips on making it easier to make or any comments please tell me, Thanks.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

I should have put in the last post what the pictures are, the first on is my anchoring loop or what I am going to tie the trap to something with, the second is the smallest my the loop will go with my deer lock, same with the third, fourth is the deer lock while it is open, fifth is the piece that the loop slides up and down on, and the sixth is the snare.

Doesn't look to shabby...try to keep kinks to a minimum and easiest way to set your deer stop is a pop can or even a standard canned good...don't have a lot of experience with snares but theres a lot more you could do. "Load them" etc. read every material you can get your hands on and movies

I don't know what kind of material you are using, but you might be better off checking with a trapping supply company like Funke Trap Tags & Supplies.

http://www.funketraptags.com/

They could get you set up with the correct cable, locks, stops, tags, etc...

You might have better success if you have good cable, and locks. Looks like you might have a few kinks and such in your cables.

Thanks for the input I ordered 1 doz pre made just in case this one doesn't work, I don't have a whole lot of faith in my snare building ability yet:D

When you get your manufactured snares, look at them & how they are made. I order my 3/32" cable from Minnesota Trapline Products, make my own snare locks out of washers, make my own snare swivels w/ a swivel tool, & use zinc nuts to crimp on the cable for the ends & stops. Last time I made 100 snares I figured it out at 33 cents per snare. Snares usually only handle one catch & then you cut off your lock & build another snare. Try them & you will like them.

Handcannon could you please post a few pictures of your tools/process of making the snares? I'd really like to learn how to make the snares, what is a swivel tool?
really appreciate all the replies

Your cable looks like it is pretty loose,"unwound". Good cable will be tightly wound and hold together better when an animal is caught in it. It will also let the slide work better. http://www.thesnareshop.com/ has a great selection of supplies and tools for building snares and they have great customer service! :way:

Deadeye, I made a video for you that shows what I use to make snares & what a swivel tool is & how to use it.

And I will give a 2nd suggestion, as Skully did, on TheSnareShop. I used to buy stuff from them when they were in Carroll, IA. Great people & service.

Anyways here's a link to the video. Hope it helps you out. Got any other questions we will try to help you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvZLisoSpJo&feature=c4-overview&list=UUpLqm5wQbu_uSsXrxQ4wqww

Top Bottom