Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Son's First Buck: Yes it might be a little long:)

mplane72

PMA Member
It's been a couple years since Max has killed a deer. School and extra curricular commitments make getting out for youth season hard and realizing shotgun hunting has been his best chance at getting a buck Max has passed up multiple opportunities at does holding out for a buck. It finally paid off in a big way.

Saturday morning looked to be off to a good start when we had 4 deer including a decent 8 Max would have shot all with in 10 yards of us as we sat on our stools in a wood pile waiting for legal time. Max passed on several doe I invited him to shoot on my tag always saying "lets see if a bucks following". About 7:00 we could hear some deer approaching and I told Max to get ready. The first deer to come out of the ditch was a nice doe. Followed by 4 more. They were on a path that would take them by us at about 30 yards as they headed for the field. As usual Max elected to wait and see what was following. When this buck popped out the conversation then went something like this....
Me: "Big Buck!"
Max: "I see him."
As I start to move my Muzzy into position Max says "No Let me get him".
Me: "Then you better shoot because I'm not letting him walk."
I got my gun up as he was on my side but I could not find him in the scope as I had the power all the way up and he was to close in the timber.
Long story short he made it to the field edge unaware of our presence and stood at about 40 yards with a couple of the does.
Me: "You better shoot before he runs."
Nothing from Max until he hears my hammer cock.
Max: "No I got him."
Me: "He's going to run you better shoot."
Hearing nothing from Max and seeing the buck getting ready to run I fired. Not being able to see through the cloud of smoke I took Max's word when He said I got him but as the buck began to run I told Max to shoot. What seemed like forever was only a few seconds. I remember having the urge to take Max's gun from him to fire myself as it seemed like forever before I heard his gun go off and saw the buck right shoulder crumble. Just as I was saying shoot again the buck face planted out in the field and moved no more. The look on his face was priceless as we slapped high fives and watched the buck to make sure he stayed put. After a few minutes we went out to take a quick look and I snapped this picture. We also only found one slug hole...

picture.php

We then went back to our spot and spent the morning watching a ton of deer. I was proud of Max when he elected to just watch the deer coming off the neighboring properties and let them pass us to get into the rest of our group hoping other would get chances.

I'm taking some well deserved crap now that my son has the biggest buck in our house and he got him after I missed. I'm guessing that I shot over him as he was so close but I don't really care. I am really happy things turned out the way they did. Now Max has to help with the taxidermy bill.

picture.php

Nice buck Max! From now on just tell your dad to go ahead and take the first shot and you'll clean up after him!

Top Bottom