Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Son's First Deer!

mplane72

PMA Member
Last evening my son Max got his first deer. It has not been easy getting him out with fall baseball, Scouts, Mock Trial other school events going on. It was quite an experience and he could not have handled himself any better. We spotted the deer just as she came out into the Alfalfa and watched her move into the field. Before I could say anything else Max had his gun in the window. I asked if he was on her and he pulled his head up shaking. I told him to relax and take a deep breath. He got back on her and I said if your going to do it you better do it now before she gets to the top of the hill. I heard the safety click and a couple seconds later BOOM. She did the classic mule kick at the shot and ran over the hill. After waiting a bit we went to the spot she was standing to check for blood. After we confirmed what looked to be a good hit I left him there to walk back to the blind and get my pack. Out of curiosity I ranged Max from the blind at 110 yards! It all happened so fast I never really questioned the distance and Max has always been a good shot. When we found her just over the hill we discovered he made a perfect double lung shot. For the record he is shooting a scoped Mossberg 20 ga. with a rifled barrel and Hornady slugs. That combo is impressively accurate, though I after the autopsy I'm not sure I like the bullets ballistic performance. The smile and fist pump said it all. No matter what happens the rest of the season I consider it a success!

Top Bottom