Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

South Dakota Pheasant Hunt

tmule88

A couple friends and I are headed out to SD a few days after pheasant season opener for a few days chasing ring necks. None of us have ever been to SD before but pheasant hunt Iowa lots. For anyone with SD experience, where do we start? Are there parts of the state better than other parts? How do I find public or walk in areas? Any advice would be awesome.

I'd check the roadside counts, OnX, and the states fish and game website. I've got buddies who go every year and kill lots of limits but also put on lots of miles in both the truck and with their boots

South Dakota runs a walk in hunter program, they pay landowners to let the public hunt. They publish a map of all enrolled land in the late summer. You can request one through the GFP website for free.

My son and I went out last year to the SE Corner north of Yankton. Lots of walk in hunter land and you can download the area maps from their website so you know where they are. Harvest was very late last year and the birds were scarce with all the corn still in. Saw lots of birds late in the afternoon moving back in from the fields but it was tough during the day. Put on lots of miles as stated above. Talked with several landowners and all recommended coming around the 3rd weekend of season to take advantage of the crops being out. Saw lots of hunters as well so we were never sure if what we were about to walk had already been hunted or not so that was kind of frustrating but was still fun just to be out with my boy for his birthday.

Have fun and good luck.

Top Bottom