Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Southern Flooding

dbltree

Super Moderator
Tunica Mississippi.... :(

deer.jpg

How many didn't find a porch to climb on?? :?

We take some things for granted here in Iowa but a good friend of mine lives in Mississippi and all of their hunting ground is on the other side of the levee. In his lifetime he has never seen it above the high 40's but it reached 56' (if I recall correctly)...historic levels!

Miles of country, ALL of the timber as far as one can see including hunting camps...all under water. Not only deer but all wildlife populations will be affected, some decimated.

Our own problems seem pretty trivial by comparison...pray for our friends down south who have suffered devastating losses in during this flood....

The flood

We take some things for granted here in Iowa but a good friend of mine lives in Mississippi and all of their hunting ground is on the other side of the levee. In his lifetime he has never seen it above the high 40's but it reached 56' (if I recall correctly)...historic levels!

Miles of country, ALL of the timber as far as one can see including hunting camps...all under water. Not only deer but all wildlife populations will be affected, some decimated.

Our own problems seem pretty trivial by comparison...pray for our friends down south who have suffered devastating losses in during this flood....

It is extremely sad, on the QDMA site, a guy said that he manages 1000 acres timber and crop fields and in some areas it is 30 feet under water. This will certainly kill wildlife, wreck timber values and no crops will be planted. Not to mention, the human toll, wow, very depressing.

Wow, that is a startling picture, it really is intriguing though what an animal will do to survive. Who would have ever thought that all the deer in the neighborhood would end up on their front porch in a flood?

More importantly though, what a sad story for all of the people in that region. These floods are very destructive.

Wildlife survive floods amazinglly well, very small % of deer die. My brother has a spot inside the levee, and he said in the past after a flood the deer come right back. It did this about 3 yrs ago, not quite this high, but close and the deer returned that season. The human loss is what is really terrible.

doesn't look good for them.. they should have some pretty sweet flooded timber waterfowl hunting this fall though.. gotta find a brightside somewhere

Wow! they might get hungry if that doesn't recede soon! Sad situation they have down there for sure. :(

This is why we should not build dams. Everyone believes dams stop the flooding, which they do sometimes, but when the water does get out of control its 100 times worse.

Top Bottom