Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Spraying glyphosate after NWSG burn on 2-20-21 in Auburn, AL (zone 8a)

FarmerCharlie

We did a prescribed burn on my native grass field today. Would it be a good idea to spray glyphosate on the cool-season grasses and weeds that remained after the burn?
The three images below are
1) an area that I had been using as a path through the field
2) a closeup of the same area
3) a closeup in a different area.
I'm not too good at identifying grasses and weeds.
I also have some areas where Bermuda had encroached, but that seems to have decreased the last couple of years as the NWSG has grown.

If it's a reasonable thing to do now, should I spot spray the green areas or just go over the entire field?

Thanks,

Charlie.

1)
20210220_150403_HS.jpg

2)
20210220_150412_HS.jpg

3)
20210220_151632_HS.jpg

Disking it this time of year is a great option to release the seed bank. I would do that before a herbicide treatment.

Yes. If the cool seasons & junk are actively growing & warm seasons are dormant. I have to imagine that’s the case in AL. Spray away. 2,4-d may be nice lil addition as well.

what native grass species are there? u got pre-emergent options depending on what’s there. Most likely imazapic (plateau, journey, panoramic)

I originally planted big bluestem, little bluestem, and Indian grass, but there is a lot of what looks like bushy bluestem too. I also saw hundreds of sweet gum saplings that I had not noticed before the burn. We spent yesterday pulling them with an extractigator. I'm thinking of going ahead with the glyphosate now and maybe imazapic later. Does that sound like a plan?

This is what the field looked like last September.20200918_123117_hs.jpg

Last edited:
I originally planted big bluestem, little bluestem, and Indian grass, but there is a lot of what looks like bushy bluestem too. I also saw hundreds of sweet gum saplings that I had not noticed before the burn. We spent yesterday pulling them with an extractigator. I'm thinking of going ahead with the glyphosate now and maybe imazapic later. Does that sound like a plan?

This is what the field looked like last September.View attachment 120590
Very nice. I think so yes. U could combine the 2 for same spraying. If cost is not an issue- run high rate imazapic... I believe the max labeled rate is 16 oz to the acre. Been some university studies that showed better results with 32 oz but I don’t think labeled that high & that’s getting lil pricey.

Thanks. I had also planted some wildflowers and forbs, but I decided last year to sacrifice them to try to eliminate a lot of dogfennel and briars with 2-4D and Remedy. If the dog fennel and briars don't come back this spring, then maybe I can overseed with some forbs and wildflowers. I only have about 5 acres in NWSG, but I'm working towards another few acres, It was worth all the trouble and expense when a couple of years ago I was sitting by the frog pond and heard a sound I had not heard in 70 years.

Above is Great pic & sound!!!!
If u use imazapic/plateau, u can seed forbs like Illinois bundleflower, partridge pea, purple prairie clover, purple cone flower, etc. read the label- it may be your best friend for keeping some of others out. Probably the best “crp-like” herbicide a person could dream up. A nice solid list of forbs & native grasses & keeps out piles of junk folks don’t want.

Very nice. I think so yes. U could combine the 2 for same spraying. If cost is not an issue- run high rate imazapic... I believe the max labeled rate is 16 oz to the acre. Been some university studies that showed better results with 32 oz but I don’t think labeled that high & that’s getting lil pricey.
I was getting set up to spray the glyphosate today when I noticed these patches of an unknown grass. Some more of these clumps are visible in my third image in the original post above. It looks like some sort of bunch grass, but it is showing some green. Any idea what it is and whether it is desirable or a problem. That is, should I go ahead and spray those patches too, or should I let them stay? I don't see any green at all in the clumps of what I know are NWSG.
Charlie
TuftsAfterBurn_Labelled_20210227_135818_crop_1000W.jpg

Last edited:
At a quick glance it looks like u r correct that just a cool season. U should smoke that with your spray. Spray it midday on as warm & sunny day as u can get. Good luck.

Thanks. I'll spray the glyphosate tomorrow. I think I'll leave one small clump of the mystery grass and mark it with a t-post just to see what it is when it grows.
And I think I'll wait to spray the imazapic until things start to green up a little more.

I looked at your Facebook page. Pretty impressive bucks. One of the wildlife students at Auburn came out here and got some images of lots of does and a few bucks--but nothing like yours. We have thirty acres just inside the city limits. When we first moved here in 1990, I saw a cougar several times. She appeared to be based in an old abandoned chicken house. The wildlife experts here thought I was crazy, but since then a few others have been spotted in our area (Lee County, AL). I have wood ducks nesting every year, a family of red tail hawks every year, and of course I have coyotes and feral hogs passing through occasionally.

Top Bottom