Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Spring tree planting timing

Nrharris

PMA Member
Going to get some tree planting started this spring in our pasture. I ordered 500 cedar plugs for screens and sporadic cover. Virtually zero cedars on the property right now. I got the email that said they will ship March 15th. That seems early to me like maybe ground too frozen to plant trees at that time. The email said I can push the ship date back. You guys that plant trees every year, do you have an average date that usually works for planting trees? I am about smack dab between highways 20 and 30 to give an idea of where I'm at North to South in the state.

I’d get them early if you can find cool dry place to store them if ground is froze. I’d plant as early as possible….. no one knows the exact date each year but as soon as that ground isn’t froze would be ideal time to plant. Earlier is better and too late is a big problem some folks run into. As much of that early spring rain you can get the better.

Some rows and then plan on some smaller clumps. I will have to see how many I have left after I make the rows I want to make.

Some rows and then plan on some smaller clumps. I will have to see how many I have left after I make the rows I want to make.
When planting "clumps" be careful how close together you get them...once they get about 5-6 years in them they will be fat suckers and make a wasteland quick....and remember they multiply just like gremlins do when they get wet....your entering a slippery slope with them....

I ordered about 40 cedars to plant as road screen. For screening purpose what would you recommend for a spacing distance?

Also ordered a hand full of persimmon and wild plum.

With the other thread on wanting to remove cedars, sure wish it wasn't so costly to spade and haul!! Could save you a lot of years on growth, but I suppose it likely could be harder to keep the bigger trees alive once they're dug up.

I have a ton of cedars of all sizes throughout the farm. I thought hard about renting a tree spade to do exactly that but I've heard survival rate is poor so I am going to plant these and then make a strip of Egyptian wheat every year for now.

I have a ton of cedars of all sizes throughout the farm. I thought hard about renting a tree spade to do exactly that but I've heard survival rate is poor so I am going to plant these and then make a strip of Egyptian wheat every year for now.
Or sub in micanthis for the wheat and be done.

Or sub in micanthis for the wheat and be done.
I thought of this too but it seemed like it was going to cost a lot more. Maybe I'm wrong. Looking at about a 75 yard area maybe.

If you wait when it’s super muddy right after frost just gets out. Just a spade will pop them out .Trees just under a foot are a snap and around a 100% survival rate . Don’t let the roots dry out.Few 5 gallon buckets half full of water works great to move them .Just spade a slot and stomp the little trees back in. Seems like the smaller ones out grow the larger trees.Guess less stress on roots.

If spade - survival on a non drought year is 90% for me. But I don’t take trees as big as I could. Smaller trees (say 3-5” diameter) do better than ones far bigger since u leaving more roots with smaller. Failure usually comes from not digging proper depth hole or not seating them right. Or a nasty drought- but that can kill any new tree.

20230407_142923.jpg
got a double staggered screen in this weekend. Hopefully have a good survival rate

Top Bottom