Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SSB 3139 Would form a study group for establishing adding crossbow instruction in PE and extracurricular activates

Fishbonker

Life Member
This bill is coming from the Committee on Education.

Copy and paste of the bill's explanation:

This bill requires the department of education to convene a working group to study the feasibility of integrating crossbow instruction into the physical education curriculum and extracurricular programs.

The bill directs the department of education to convene a working group to study the feasibility of integrating crossbow instruction into the physical education curriculum and extracurricular programs provided to students enrolled in grades 7 through 12 to provide equal access to archery participation in order to comply with Tit. IX of the Education Amendments of 1972.

The bill requires the working group to provide a report to the general assembly detailing the working group’s findings and recommendations on or before December 31, 2022.

Link to the bill: <Crossbows in class>

Subcommittee: Sweeney, Celsi, and Johnson.

Senator Annette Sweeney, annette.sweeney@legis.iowa.gov

Senator Clair Celsi, claire.celsi@legis.iowa.gov

Senator Craig Johnson,

Meeting time and date has yet to be set.

• Deleted by 8bitnes
  • Reason: Error
Show…
Basically, the bill is saying (referencing equal access under title ix) that by using bow only education, females are discriminated against.

I'm not sure I agree or see how since my daughter has used bow and arrow at summer camp since the age of 8 and she's awfully small

Basically, the bill is saying (referencing equal access under title ix) that by using bow only education, females are discriminated against.

I'm not sure I agree or see how since my daughter has used bow and arrow at summer camp since the age of 8 and she's awfully small
Most the schools that i know of that do archery in PE use Genesis bows and well under 20#.
They can be used by all the kids at school of all ages and by boys and girls without issue.
In fact, lots of times the girls can outshoot the boys.

Subcommittee meeting was scheduled and then cancelled.

EDIT: Ravin has registered as for. Two of the members of the sub are also on the Natural Resources and Environment Committee. I don't recall if they have been on any other subs concerning crossbow legislation but I'm sure they are familiar with the issue.

Last edited:
Most the schools that i know of that do archery in PE use Genesis bows and well under 20#.
They can be used by all the kids at school of all ages and by boys and girls without issue.
In fact, lots of times the girls can outshoot the boys.
FWIW...my wife is a school teacher, 3rd/4th graders, and every year I arrange for her students to shoot 2-4 times with archery gear. (Sometimes as a PE class at school, sometimes here at our house.) I bought 5 Genesis bows and a couple of others that are suited to kids that size. Girls LOVE it and some are also darn good shots. I do find that a Genesis can be a little stiff for the smaller 3rd graders, but that's why I have a couple of other bows ready to go that are even more lightweight.

To introduce xbow's under the guise of getting kids involved actually makes me more opposed to xbow's than ever. That's disingenuous, to use kind words.

I teach Physical Ed and have taught archery in my classes for over 20 years. I've never had an issue with girls not being able to shoot because of lack of strength. This is such a crock of crap. Can't wait to send emails on this one. Tell me where to sign...

Just finished up the first day of our archery unit in Phys Ed. Over 150 kids on day one, funny not one of them said they couldn't handle the poundage they had and couldn't shoot.

Top Bottom