Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Stand sites yet?

Maggs

Anyone got any stand sites set up yet? I don't have any yet but as soon as I finish my annual summer list of "Honey-do's" I plan on putting up several early season stands. Of course that will require alot of scouting and numerous trips to the woods. I can hardly wait!

PLK. I don't know that I'll ever get them all done but she knows that when Fall rolls around most things go on hold until mid-January. She's very demanding now but very understanding during the season.

Just found out that when Randy is working on and we are posting it can make double responses, no biggie, I ll clean up later.

Not yet, I don't like to put mine up until close to season. But like PLK, I picked my starting spots from post season scouting.
Went looking around last month just enough to make sure there were no major geographic changes. (Went back one year and the tree was gone)But I don't care to spend much time in my hunting areas this time of year due to the nastiness lurking there in warm weather.

As every season passes I am more convinced than ever that having stands in by April is the key to seeing animals early. Don't get me wrong I have put up plenty of stands up in August and September. I just feel that if you are hunting edges of bedding areas or in early October, food sources, you are defeating the purpose going in and stinking up the area. I guess if your putting a stand up on a travel route that is always run hard in November it doesn't matter, especially if your not going in until November. That's why I use the hanging brackets in my stands I go back to every year.

bracket.jpg

And I use my portable when I am scout/hunting.

hang_on.jpg

Lets say here in late August or early September you spot a nice buck or a group of nice bucks out in an alfalfa field. You have a pretty good idea where they are entering the field. Years past I guess I wasn't out scouting but if I was I would have run in there mid-day and put up a stand and waited for opening day. Wrong, you just stunk up the area and the next night the group comes to the opening they smell your recent work and never come back to the area.

Some people think this is extreme, maybe but think about the treestand that you have stood in more than 3 times in one season. I ll bet you didn't get a shot or really see a good buck the forth or fifth time. Your first time in is your best chance for a shot or see a good buck. After that your odds decrease rapidly.

Just my thoughts, I hope it helps.

TLH

I had to throw this in just to give you a laugh...

Back in 1985 I also saw my neighbor go to the exact same stand I was in the week after I had shot a nice buck and harvest a beautiful 150 class buck. The crazy part is he had his work pliers on and was pounding a nail in the stand when the buck came trotting down the trail.

Go figure, that's why they call it hunting
smile.gif

TLH

The secret of not disturbing the deer in your hunting area is keeping any thoughts of doing them harm out of your mind while you are there. They can sense the evil in your heart. You need to generate an ora of being their best friend. Until it is time for the shot, then change your mind quickly. :cool:

Seriuosly, is there any negative impact on the trees by having your stand up for so long?

"Chicken Soup For Bow Hunters" or maybe
"The Zen Approach To Hunting" I meditate into a Zen like state under a tree until I levitate to the desired height. Only draw back is I fall to the ground when I get buck fever.
How many posts will it take to get off jr. status?

Top Bottom