Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Starting to think cell cams….

Maybe it's been said, cell cams are probably best at getting big bucks killed by showing one has shown up on a certain food plot or in a little patch of woods now for 3 consecutive days, so it's time to go set up on him. Allows guys to totally avoid a killer food source until the time is exactly right.

Agree! ^^ Also, FWIW, I have no qualms with anyone truly using this technology for property surveillance/security purposes, just not too crazy about them being used to get up to the minute whereabouts on an animal that they are going to shoot.

….should be illegal. At least during season. I realize it’s probably an unpopular opinion as I love getting the pics as much as the next guy I really do. But, I’m seeing big buck after big buck being harvested that cell cams played a major major role in. I believe they’re the biggest “game changer” weve maybe ever seen in the industry. The ability to know where a deer is at in real time before you pick which stand you’re going to hunt as you walk out the door in the morning or evening is borderline cheating imo. I know of several 180”-200” deer taken in the last 3 weeks and almost everyone of them were in large part bc of the real time info.
Would these deer have been killed otherwise? Maybe. But from what I’ve seen this season it’s really changed my mind on it. Just too big of an advantage imo
Thoughts?
I read an article once about a hunter that couldn’t afford a big lease or buy a large chunk of land (99% of hunters). He knew of a small piece of land (8acres) that was along a large managed property. He had inside information that it might be for sale. He bought it and cut some timber on it and put in a little clover patch. He killed two B&C bucks. Can you imagine? He wasn’t even in the ”industry”. He killed “their“bucks! The county I live in in Ohio killed 8000 bucks between 2016 to 2020. In those five years 3 bucks were recorded in Ohio Big Bucks that scored 180 or better. That puts the odds at 0.00375 percent. If you have that many 180’s and 190’s bucks around your a lucky man. Probably in the “industry”!
P.S.,
What if that guy with 8 acres used a cell cam and a crossbow? The “industry“ would have probably had him taken out!

I would venture to guess a good many against cell cams would also say, your against deer drives? Don't do them, to each thier own. How about foodplots? How about other ways to manipulate deer movement such as hinge cuts? Brush piles along plots? Lots of ways to change a deers patterns and movements. Ar pistols late muzzy, smokeless muzzloaders, crossbows all up the percentage of success. Interesting to see a some real numbers but I bet success rates using a cell cam aren't all they seem. I have never used one to put me in a stand based on my thinking he is in his way. More likely its kept me at work or at home with the family because I thought there was no real reason to be out that day. Normally that info is wrong. Also pretty much every brand isn't sending all the pictures it takes. Alot never even make it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I would venture to guess a good many against cell cams would also say, your against deer drives? Don't do them, to each thier own. How about foodplots? How about other ways to manipulate deer movement such as hinge cuts? Brush piles along plots? Lots of ways to change a deers patterns and movements. Ar pistols late muzzy, smokeless muzzloaders, crossbows all up the percentage of success. Interesting to see a some real numbers but I bet success rates using a cell cam aren't all they seem. I have never used one to put me in a stand based on my thinking he is in his way. More likely its kept me at work or at home with the family because I thought there was no real reason to be out that day. Normally that info is wrong. Also pretty much every brand isn't sending all the pictures it takes. Alot never even make it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Going down rabbit holes and lumping anti-cell camera folks into other camps isn't cool or productive. It comes down to them clearly being illegal, per the IA DNR regs.

You may not use dogs, domestic animals, bait, radios, handguns, rifles and crossbows (except as described on p. 38), automobiles, aircraft, drones, electronic calls or any mechanical conveyance or device to hunt deer.

I don’t have a problem with them not being legal but if they are legal then it’s a choice. You don’t have to use them.The game department wants a harvest.They don’t worry about your neighbor doing it different than you and you being jealous. We allowed crossbows in Ohio years ago and population and quality is better than its ever been. I’ve killed deer with rifle,crossbow,muzzleloader (including flintlock),compound bow,and pistol.Killed a Dall Sheep at 400 yards with a rifle and a 170 whitetail with a crossbow.Both great memories. Watched the Texas game warden show and on their off day a game warden had an antelope tag. They shot it right out of the truck window.

The hunting publics latest video is actually a bluff country outdoors video. He shoots the 192" buck he was chasing after he got a cell camera picture of it. He was not going to hunt that day, got the cell camera picture, rushed to the stand and shot the buck.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

The hunting publics latest video is actually a bluff country outdoors video. He shoots the 192" buck he was chasing after he got a cell camera picture of it. He was not going to hunt that day, got the cell camera picture, rushed to the stand and shot the buck.

Didn’t he get the picture the day before he hunted and killed it because he got it after he went hunting with his dad and was editing photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aint much different that a buddy calling you and saying they seen a big buck going onto your property while driving down a road.

My 10 year old likes clicking on youtube hunting videos. Guy killed a big giant buck and proudly spoke of how the property was covered in cell cams and he even had 3 on 1 tree pointing all different directions. Said he knew every move that buck was making. Doesn't sound very sporting to me. Everyone draws their own lines.

Didn’t he get the picture the day before he hunted and killed it because he got it after he went hunting with his dad and was editing photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just checked again, no, they filled the water hole and moved some cameras around earlier that day. He said he just got back from hunting with his dad and started editing when he got the picture. He texted his group chat and then made a mad dash out to his stand.

Top Bottom