Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

starting up

H

Hutch55

I'm interested in starting turkey hunting this spring. What are the bare essentials other than a gun? How much will it cost me to get started?

Get yourself a good choke tube for your shotgun and make sure to pattern it really well. Also make sure you have camo for EVERYTHING. Face, gun, everything...those old gobblers can almost see the whites of your eyes! Get a few calls to get started with and practice with them...I started out easy with the push button calls and worked up from that. A decoy or two would be really good, too. I am not sure how much this really cost me....I have just built upon this every year. Good luck and good hunting! Once you start hunting turkeys, you'll be hooked!
-GunnerJon

Get a single reed mouth call for about $3-$5 depending on where you get it. Decoys can run about $15 a piece or $35 for 3. I'd also suggest a push button for starting out, easy to use and probably around $8 or so. The choke tube I wouldn't know, mine came with my old gun. Some cheap uninsulated camo depends on what you want. I go with bibs and a longsleeve shirt...around $30 I suppose at Wal-mart. Boots depending on your preference on comfort, $15-$250. I'd suggest a butt pad, the ground isn't the most comfortable thing in the world, especially when it's wet. Keep your eyes on the site here, you'll hear people talking about all sorts of "toys" that you will eventually "need"!

MW

Get some calls and start practicing now! I started practicing mouth calls while I was driving by myself. That way I did not drive my wife crazy!

I would suggest going to the sports show in Cedar Rapids on Feb 3 at the Exibition Hall, some of the states best turkey callers will be there for the Iowa State calling contest, these guys are damn good, most will take the time after the contest to help you with your calling and to get you started in the sport. I am just warning you to not try every gimmick that comes out or you will have a million dollars tied up in your first bird, be very selective in the products you buy. You can call a bird in with just the simplest of items (push pull,box call or slate) Just remeber to have fun

My brother, dad, and I started last year. Other than getting our guns ready, we just went out there in camo that worked for the cover and a couple different types of calls (the Lohman's box call is great). A couple of decoys really helped out, too.

Extra-full choke, turkey loads, a call (I think a slate is easiest for a new hunter to make a range of good sounds with, but a reed is cheaper and keeps hands free if you can master it), and preferably a full set of camo (or at least natural colors) including a face net. $20-30 for a choke, $15 for shells, $15 for slate or $5 for reed, probably about $100 for camo pants, hooded sweat, cap and face mask. If you can't afford all, cut out the pants first, then the hat, buy camo paint instead of the mask, shoot full choke instead of extra full and keep shots down to 20 yards. So, minimum of about $20 for reed and shells, plus license if really need to watch the budget, and add the other things as you can afford them. Oh, and a cushion for your butt will soon be high on your list if you don't get that right off. Vest is a nice thing to have at some point, since one tends to collect multiple calls and other paraphenalia.

And later, when you're running out of things to buy, there's some really pretty wood box calls out there to put on the mantle near your mounted fans/beards to help you through the off-season.

Hutch there is one thing that nobody has mentioned that will help you more than anything else and that is being still. You can wear army gear and have just as much luck as $100 camo outfit. Patience is a must to be a succesful turkey hunter. If you just make a few calls to get the gobblers attention and have the patience to sit there he will come and find you, it may be in 10 minutes or in 2 hours, but he will come looking. Scouting will play an important part in knowing where they roost and travel, I was able to pick up on some valuable info while I was out bowhunting last year. Turkey hunting is a very fun and challenging, you will gain a lot knowledge on it just getting out there and learning from each hunt.

hope that you get to enjoy some spring fun.

later
Doug

Bare essentials: 1) a call you are comfortable with 2) camo for your upper body. I personally don't think a special choke tube qualifies as a "bare essential." The only turkey that I've ever called all the way in was shot by my buddy last year. He has a 40 year old Remington autoloader with a full choke. One close shot with a 2 3/4" (6 shot) Remington Long Range Express shell. In addition to a diaphragm call, I'd definitely also buy a slate call. They're not as neat but easier for me anyway. This will be my third year and I still don't have camo pants, either.

Top Bottom