Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Strange Theft

tracker

Life Member
Usually every year I either have a stand or cameras stolen, but this year is different. I went out the other day to check some stands we have on private property and the climbing sticks are gone. The stands are still up in the tree. I don't know why they only took the sticks and left the stands. The sticks are cheaper than the stands if a guy has to replace something, but I don't understand why they wouldn't take everything? I just wish I would be out there some day when people are carrying out.

stranger, like you said, why go through the trouble and not take everything, doesn't make sense to me. Sucks though

Probably dont want the stand.

I took down a stand for a land owner a few years ago becuase it wasnt supposed to be there. He asked if I wanted it, nope took the screw in footpegs though. Call me picky, the stand didnt look like it had a comfy seat.
Maybe the same deal?

Still sucks that you lose equipment.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Getting lone wolf climbing sticks and accessing those stands with one set of climbing sticks would be the way I would fix that situation.. And it would make it difficult for the stands to be stolen with no way to get up to them.

That is wierd. Sucks to think that there are a lot of people like that out there. If it isn't chained down, prly gonna get stolen.

this happened to me last yr,im 6'2 and place my steps far apart, got to my stand to take it down, no steps.he had to be tall because all of mine are far apart, left the stand though, just a pain. i had a stand stolen this yr, locked and chained, the theif had to use bolt cuttters to get it out,---but left my steps!!im going to place trail cams out next yr high in an adjacent tree and when i catch him on film, im plastering those pics on the web--who is this man!ive had enough!!

Funny you mention the high trail cam to catch them. A year ago a guy was taking the sd cards from one of my cameras so I placed another trail cam in a tree at least 10' in the air pointing down at the camera that had been messed with continually. Well when I returned to get this guys mug messing with my first camera I arrived to find that they had taken the new camera I placed up 10' in the tree.

Let me tell you, you can't win for trying with some of these losers. I know who's doing it but can't get the physical evidence to get them kicked out of the neighboring properties. You know I'd really like to take his stands but that would drop me down to his level. I will catch him someday.....

pat cady,
are you kidding me?? ok, new plan, we need to find an adjasent tree, big enough around , that we can take an electric chain saw, and notch out enough width- height- depth to hide the camera.on the peice we have cut out, cut strait down about a quarter of an inch behind the bark.you will have to saw enough depth into the tree to make up for this as this will be our new face plate for the camera, you will want it fitting flush.place your cam in the tree to figure out how big a hole you will need to drill and where for your camera lens. bring a rechargable drill with you to make your hole over the bark,( drill from the back side) proably will want your hole a tad bigger than our lens on the cam.reset the cam, place in the tree, place the tree bark cover over it, making sure it alligns with your lens, and dab some caulking, gorilla glue , or somthing in the corners that will blend in with the bark, camo tape , somthing, just dont seal it up where you wont have to work to hard to get that peice out to get to your cam. im going to try it, wont this scumbag be surprised when i(you) finally catch him and plaster his unintelligent gord on this site!!the proablem with my theif is, im not sure who it is, and i may need help identifying mine, you, i think you know whos doing it to you,and may be able to come up with a name.i just thought of somthing, if we notch the tree out, we may not be able to get that out in one nice peice, even with a wood chisel, we may have to make the cover from just the bark off a tree, then drill the hole for the lens cap.if it works, wouldnt it be worth it!!just a thought, i think im going to try it.good luck.

I lost the bottom 2 screw in steps many years ago at a stand setup and all I could think was that was all they needed at the time. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I have lost both climbing stick and stand setup one other time. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif The sad thing is that I had borrowed them.

My own stuff may be too cheap to make it worth stealing. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Where does all this stuff go? Is there a black market on hunting gear somewhere?

I can only hope they needed them worse than me.

The good thing is they sell more..... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Best Wishes in 2009.

BW,
What will you do as an outdoorsman to protect your stands, steps, climbers?the sad part about it is, your stuff isnt cheap!!, You have worked hard to purchase the hunting gear that works for you.You, myself, or any other ethical hunter should not worry about the slob hunter taking our stuff that we have worked hard for!.i have went to my insurance agent, and taken out a policy which insures theft on my outdoor products. includes guns, boat moters, stands, ect, the cost is minamal, verses the replacement cost out of pocket.they can add it to your home owners, well worth it!the second thing to do is , what are we going to do as OUTDOORSMEN to catch these wanna bees? its time we catch one, make a statment, and plaster their name in the press.this just might slow down the rest of them.the sad part is , ive had more things stolen on private ground than public, that means these slobs are trespassing to get to my things, enough, is enough!

If you guys are going to go through the trouble of notching out the tree for your camera, the least you could do is drill a hole all the way through the tree from behind the camera you expect them to steal and hot glue the rope to the back of your camera and run the other end up the tree to a bucket which would hang right above it and fill it with some skunk scent. That would be a pricless picture.

Corey

It's such a shame that hunting has come to this. When people steal hunting stuff from out in the woods, who knows what else they do. Im sure if it don't bother them to steal ur stuff, it won't bother them to poach ur deer. I hope you can think of a way to catch them. Maybe a good ground blind for a trail camera is what you need. Blend it in so they can't see it and it looks natural, but still leave room for a good picture. Just a thought.

IBBB's ,

I try to make them work hard for my hunting stuff, by not making it too easy for them to take. I can't sit out there any guard it all the time.

If I catch them, They will definately know what my view of that kind of activity is. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

We need to mentor impressionable outdoorsmen every chance we get.

I work just as hard for my tax money and it disappears at times also. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

BW,
Its time to start controlling what we can control!this is your hard earned money out here getting stolen.

Top Bottom