Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sugarbeets

i have a small small spot of rr sugar beets planted, gonna go spray this week, i have some 41% gly from lowes, and a 2 gallon sprayer, how much gly for 2 gallons?

I see no one has posted about sugar beets in several years. Is anyone planting these? I thought about adding a "small" strip around the dbltree rye mix this year. Just curious if it would be worth the time and see if any others are planting SB. thanks

I see no one has posted about sugar beets in several years. Is anyone planting these? I thought about adding a "small" strip around the dbltree rye mix this year. Just curious if it would be worth the time and see if any others are planting SB. thanks

I have not really heard of anyone around my area messing with them now for several years. I never tried them myself, but my understanding was from others that you could all of the benefits from sugar beets, with little of the hassle/risk, by going with a more conventional brassica rotation.

A lot of weed control- long maturity time frame on growing them (earlier planting and long growing season)..... like above says- basically same results as say: turnips and radish.
I’d stick with turnips and radish unless u have a real fascination with SB’s or wanna have some fun experimenting. Which nothing wrong with that if u got time and energy!

Pretty much agree with what's been said. From what I've read it seems like they aren't worth the hassle in this country (Iowa)... I know some do plant them but I'm still trying to get my local deer population to get on radish & turnips (after 4 years)... They seem stuck on the corn & soybeans...

They absolutely destroy them up here in Upper Michigan. I would love to see what a 5 acre plot of them would produce in December.
Conventional beets are a chore to grow, but deer love them in our region.

They absolutely destroy them up here in Upper Michigan. I would love to see what a 5 acre plot of them would produce in December.
Conventional beets are a chore to grow, but deer love them in our region.
Im not surprised. Further N is also better for growing them. If u got the fire to experiment - sure can’t hurt to try and may have some stellar results.

U doing conventional or u using round up ready beets? (Which last I heard u had to buy that seed for ag use but - I’m not sure if any updates on that).

Sligh
We only do conventional. RR beets are a no no in food plots (Monsanto’s words, not mine).
If they were cleared for plots, I could sell a lot of them.
But for a late season plot, they are pretty impressive.

Sligh
We only do conventional. RR beets are a no no in food plots (Monsanto’s words, not mine).
If they were cleared for plots, I could sell a lot of them.
But for a late season plot, they are pretty impressive.
They had a 2-3 year span when they were round up ready. Then- ya, legal crap. If u were to buy 50 lbs to farm em- good to go!!!

This shot of rain is gonna help
c5b99a714f4c8828896b82b53630da8e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cope, When did you plant your's. I put mine in May. 1st and got a good inch of rain on them a day later. Looking forward to when they pop and if they can meet any of the hype that many seem to give them.

I planted April 29, this is my first go round with rr sugar beets, I tried conventional sugar beets 4 years ago, got my restricted use pesticide license just for them and atrazine for switchgrass. They grew great but I think I sprayed em at least 7 times. I like the tonnage per acre aspect and the very high digestibility it offers

My trial plot is .6 acres. I used no preemergent but have S-metolachlor (Medal 2 ec) I'll spray with gly when it is time. I'll hand weed the plot as needed until Sept for the resistant weeds I'm sure will come around. It was soybeans the past two years and I put down 200 #'s 10-10-10 the day I planted. It was disked in, then seed was broadcast and dragged. The plot as far as looks, looked the part but we shall see.

https://www.crystalsugar.com/media/20869/weedmstachler.pdf

This presentation has me wanting to try medal 2 ec next year at planting time as a preemergent. As I understand it, it can work but real producers, if they're trying this need to sign a waiver with syngenta. I will have the luxury to plant bean if it don't work for me.

I'm going to try sugarbeets for two years. If the deer don't take to them after two years they won't be tried again.

Good luck with your plot.

They absolutely loved them the first time I planted them , during the summer the kids and i would pluck a couple and eat em in the field , they taste like a very sweet radish/ kahlrabbi

Variety of corn beans hay, pretty hilly so a lot of pasture/ timber probably 35% rough ground , normal amount of deer per square mile. Definitely not over populated

Mine is high deer density and hilly. It is on the backside of the bluffs of the MO river. Basically heavy ag starts at my property line.

I have tried brassicas in the past with limited usage. The rest of my plots consist of corn, beans, and clover.

Mine is high deer density and hilly. It is on the backside of the bluffs of the MO river. Basically heavy ag starts at my property line.

I have tried brassicas in the past with limited usage. The rest of my plots consist of corn, beans, and clover.

Top Bottom