Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sugarbeets

I'm just a few miles from the Mississippi , I've had great luck with brassica, the last two years though it got warm around xmas and they did not utilize the bulbs after they got mushy, however they continued to eat all the leaves and stems

I also have forage and traditional beans planted 50/50, corn, clover plots, brassicas and buck forage oats . Only one year did I skip the oats , that wont happen again. I put them in middle to late august disc lightly and cultipack

The beets are looking good , I top dressed them with some more urea this afternoon
b5de4ebf5bf2f9eb55370f0cb3e073e0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Don't know anything about Sugar Beets . ? How do you feel the deer prefer them over other brassica's same as the brassica mix ? Seems like a lot of risk with these reading through the thread.

Thanks

Last edited:
They require a lot more time to reach maturity than brassicas if you want maximum tonnage, 20 + per acre if nitrogen is put on heavy

The deer love em , but I've also had great luck with deer eating all the brassica plots, just trying have a buffet

Diversity is great. Fire back on how they do and how deer preference is. Those do look great!!!
So, did I read that right.... 20 tons of sugarbeat production per acre?!? Wow. That’s nuts. I’d have to run math on corn or other brassicas BUT that sure is a lot of food!!!
Ok- actually ran it on corn: 175 bushels x 56 lbs is almost 10000 lbs or 5 tons. Hmmmmm. Interesting. That’s a lotta food!! Very cool stuff!

That's what I read, the tonnage factor is a big one for me as I only have so many acres available , also the digestibility is super for deer

Jackpot!! Looking great & ur pry home free for the season!
So- on Gly SB’s.... obviously one would buy from Ag source. I know a lot of guys in dakotas that crop em.... do u buy 50 lbs at a time from coop or something?
Ive got some round up alfalfa in past for some areas the “idiot spray guys” always seem to hit but now with all the pre’s & Glufosinate- almost pointless now. Plus- I do a decent amount of burn down spraying myself unless I’m overloaded. I’d like to mess around with some “farming” of sugar beets & fine with buying Ag quantity - just down in iowa- no one uses em so Didn’t know if anyone has source? I’m sure i can find a place to order.
Good looking stuff and with 40k lbs per acre- gonna be a feast!

A buddy of mine got a box up north 12 acres of seed for $2K he sold me an acres worth. It is still cheaper than conventional beets, after you figure in some restricted pesticides and the number of spray applications

A buddy of mine got a box up north 12 acres of seed for $2K he sold me an acres worth. It is still cheaper than conventional beets, after you figure in some restricted pesticides and the number of spray applications

Almost $200 for seed per acre?!? Wow- that’s more than corn!!!! Whoa!!! Still- well worth it if turns out well. Well- I’ll start saving my pop cans so I buy some for next year. Gonna give em a whirl. Fire ur finished pics & update on deer usage. Looking good!

Those look delicious!!! One of guys I know that’s on here says he thinks RR beets may be de-regulated next year (or maybe are). They were a long time ago, then pulled, then for “growers/farmers” only.... chance for everyone again. We shall see. Still ways to do it without Gly but sure would be nice tool for guys with limited time & plots.
I’m going to put some in next year. I am purposely going to put them next to late July, early August brassicas and see how response & difference is. Lot of food right there and it’ll be fun to try em. I tried 2 new types of plots this year but I’m gonna do at least one new one a year & do more comparison plots.
CT- I think no deer is gonna disagree with those! Stoked to see how they do through out season!

Wow. Really nice!!!! Yep- too much water in that spot. Probably a fungus. If wanted to- could spray. Looking dang good though. Really nice!!!!

Top Bottom