Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Surviving a LARGE ABSCESS! Happened…

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Watched this guy all 2020. He was all over me & walking by me anytime I hunted a certain area. I almost thought to have someone shoot him - his abscess was hanging out that much….
So- quickly - abscess is basically your guts spilling out of cavity & most said usually causes death reasonably quick. He was so close one day I looked at it in binos & could see where he’d catch it on fence & stuff. All scraped up. Nasty!!! This is photo of him walking by me last season. It got bigger & it was bad. & side note- I know this deer extremely well- 100% it’s same deer…

WELL….. he made it. Just got trail camera pics of him like crazy- doing same thing. Surprised he made it. What u all think? Think he’s done-for this season? Chance he lives?
AF7F36B0-465D-4481-8982-5F588BB715D6.jpeg
3B1EB16B-52FF-474B-A701-5543E0C0E632.jpeg

If he made it this far, doesn't look like the abscess is going to get him. More likely a car or arrow, unless he hooks it on a fence. Then it would be 'yotes.

An abcess is just filled with puss...if is catches it on a fence and rips it open, that would be a good thing. Usually, they will eventually open up and drain on their own. An umbilical hernia is an opening that may be filled with intestine, fat, or both. if that opens up...he's dead. Similar to what fat hogs can get when they are in the finisher. It looks like a mass/tumor-like growth to me since it is basically the same size and similar shape. If he catches it on a fence, it will probably bleed pretty good, but shouldn't be fatal. Just my opinion.

Oh- I meant “hernia”.
isnt that what it is? A hernia where the guts have come out of the cavity.
If it is a tumor or simply puss- That would be better.

I would guess either a hernia or a large cyst. Cysts can grow like that off the belly, neither are usually harmful. Deer looks pretty healthy for that to be an abscess imo.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

It might kill him eventually, but it doesn't seem to be keeping him from growing and maturing. If he were sick, he'd be all skinny and nasty looking, and he wouldn't be putting on the antler mass that he has. Probably gets in the way when he attempts to mount a doe though. Ew.

Think he will be fine too, nothing about him says sick. If he gets within 50 just put an arrow in the sac and relieve the pressure for him

Hernia? Check this link.....

Top Bottom