Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

I sprayed a 3 acre area I want to plant this upcoming season into CIR, I used 1 qt Gly and 2 oz oust on July 15th it smoked the area, Should I spray again in September with the same mix or only if I see new seedlings. This area hasn't had anything done in over 10 years so I mowed a few times this year and wanted to kill it so I could kill the remaining seed bank if possible. Not sure if I should spray again with oust for residual carry over..

I personally would. I'd at least watch it close, your oust may keep everything dead possibly. I like spraying in a warm day in late September or October to get the last things nuked.

If You Follow Pauls Instructions To A Tee You Get First Year Results Like This.
IMG_20140810_143317_935.jpg

Great 1st year stand there Scott!! Nicely done.

I have three new switch plots this year that are fair to pretty good, but not as clean as yours. Nonetheless, last Saturday evening as I was finishing up my day of field work on my place I heard a rooster cackle and looked up in time to see him to lift out of one of my switch plots and fly about 100 yards to land in another switch plot. (I have purposely placed "islands" of switch out in my otherwise brome CRP and all together now I probably have about 6 to 8 acres of switch "patchworked" in the brome CRP.)

It may seem strange, but that gave me a nice feeling of satisfaction, because neither one of those plots was there 3 years ago...nor were there any pheasants to speak of.

Looks good Scott. Could you try getting a close up picture of the CIR and posting it? I'm still trying to figure out what I have besides the Giant Foxtail. Thanks

Nice pictures. Have you, or will you, clip that field this summer? I see only scattered weeds and foxtail. Letters from Osenbaughs were sent out a couple weeks ago recommending to clip up to 6 times in the first year. Seems like a lot to me, but I have clipped once anyway.

No need to clip this field, its plenty clean. I got same letter and i think thats referring to nwsg mixes. I have a cp25 stand i am establishing and that I have been mowing, but that i couldnt use atrazine or oust on so it has plenty of weeds.

Scott,
That stand looks great! Question, did you frost seed or drill, and what rate (lbs/acre) did you apply seed.

Thanks

If I just spray a harder to reach spot that may be too tricky to mow with roundup and plateau with that kill it and knock it down enough for me to frost seed it? If not, any other suggestions? Thanks!

First year seeding. I probably unnecessarily clipped a couple weeks ago. For the most part, I've followed dbltree's advice from the start, and I thank him for that. I think that is probably a Kanlow seed head with the red seeds in a corner I didn't back the bushhog into, foreground of first pic. If so, it's almost 5' tall.

Attachments

• CIR1.jpg
    CIR1.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 355
  • CIR.jpg
    CIR.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 360
I was wondering if anybody has heard about this new cultivar of lowland switch (Liberty) recently developed at the University of Nebraska as a bio-fuels grass. Makes me wonder if it is thicker and taller than CIR.

Aug. 5, 2014
LINCOLN, Neb. — It's not uncommon for farms to have troublesome areas where corn and soybean yields don't quite measure up due to various physical features because of their vulnerability to soil erosion. These underutilized areas and marginal lands might be better suited for establishing perennial bioenergy grasses, especially switchgrass.
Switchgrass is a hardy, warm season perennial grass that was previously known for its use as a forage crop. However, plant breeders and agronomists have now developed a switchgrass cultivar named "Liberty" that has proven to be a high yielding biomass crop. This renewable, nonfood energy feedstock holds great potential for conversion into a "drop-in fuel" and subsequently lessening dependence on fossil-derived fuels. While switchgrass isn't a new crop, the logistical challenges of harvesting, storing, transporting, and marketing it as a bioenergy feedstock are still being researched.
Field days on Aug. 19 at Beaver Crossing and Aug. 20 at Dawson will provide information on the agronomics, economics and sustainability of biomass production of switchgrass and other perennial bioenergy grasses.
The field days are sponsored by CenUSA Bioenergy, a multi-state USDA-sponsored research project, focusing on the use of perennial bioenergy crops in the Midwest.
CenUSA partners include: University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Iowa State University, Purdue University, United States Department of Agriculture - Agricultural Research Service, University of Illinois, University of Minnesota, University of Vermont and the University of Wisconsin.
Topics at the field days are: pest and disease management; genetics establishment/ management/economics; harvest/marketing – commercialization/biomass – biofuel conversion process; alternative uses – livestock; and environmental benefits – soil/water/wildlife. The field days will include drill and harvest demonstrations and discussion, as well as the opportunity to see various grass varieties.
Liberty switchgrass will be featured at the field days. According to UNL Extension Educators, Keith Glewen and John Hay, nearly two decades of research and breeding by the USDA-ARS grass breeding program at UNL has gone into developing this variety. Liberty was developed for the Midwest as a bioenergy crop with a high rate of winter survival combined with high yields.
- See more at: http://ianrnews.unl.edu/august-field-days-focus-switchgrass-bioenergy-feedstock#sthash.g2FYlUOC.dpuf

If I just spray a harder to reach spot that may be too tricky to mow with roundup and plateau with that kill it and knock it down enough for me to frost seed it? If not, any other suggestions? Thanks!

Gly and Oust now, if any regrowth spray gly only late October

There dozens of new varieties, ask about longevity and winter standability in your area ;)

Cut or Wait

I frost seeded 5 acres of CIR this past winter. I had a good weed kill before planting. I was unable to cut this summer but finally have things in order to cut the CIR. I am wondering if it is too late. I am also afraid I might damage the switch by mowing it. I would mow as high as I can but still might clip the tops. Most weeds went to seed already I would imagine.

Am I better off not mowing now and using a pre-emergent next spring? What is the best to spray on the second year switch?

thanks for your help!!

Oust Spraying in Fall

Thanks for the advice. What does the Oust XP do in the fall if the plants aren't actively growing?

How late in Fall? Does it affect the CIR SG?

Thanks again for the advice. I followed your technique so far and have a pretty good stand coming except for not being able to mow it.

What is the 2nd year spring maintenance I should do? (spraying)

Top Bottom