Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

Quinclorac is rainfast within an hour meaning it will remain on the plant even if it were to rain rather than washing off. ... Be sure to check the product label to see the level of tolerance your desired grass can take as some vegetation is more tolerant of Quinclorac than others.
I was referring to quinclorac, or is it the same?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Pretty sure ive got switch popping !!!!!
Tell me if ya’ll think this is it.... i could pretty much track it down the furrow from the drill
92ac62c9cd5500571463c7ef1b99f670.jpg

bed44b6d98ab7ad179b6aff9ae32f420.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive got a lot of posion ivy, some sericia L, normal milkweed, sumack and others coming up in the field. I should go ahead and start mowing soon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm worried my new switch will be a failure this year. We are suddenly extremely hot for early June with no relief and no rain in sight, triple digit temps at a time of year when 80 is the average high. The term flash drought comes to mind. I'm afraid those broadcasted seeds will have no way of reaching any moisture right when they need it most.

I'm worried my new switch will be a failure this year. We are suddenly extremely hot for early June with no relief and no rain in sight, triple digit temps at a time of year when 80 is the average high. The term flash drought comes to mind. I'm afraid those broadcasted seeds will have no way of reaching any moisture right when they need it most.
Hold tight. Hot & dry are fairly normal. If it’s germinated - it goes down fast. If it’s not germinated - it’ll sit til it’s moist.
worst is dry soils.... then just enough rain to germinate & then bone dry for long while. Not saying that isn’t possible but hold tight. Mid July u should know more.

Will early bloom of weeds (mainly broadleafs) kill off switch that is just popping up? I want to spray, but heard 2-4D can harm young switch and also prevent germination for 2-3 weeks? I'm working with an area that was drilled bare dirt. It was drilled a month ago. In some spots, I can see early rows coming up really well, and nothing in other areas. The weeds are too short to mow, but thick enough to shade out anything below. I hit the area with Quinclorac and Simazind after drilling, but must not have put it on heavy enough. Thoughts?

Will early bloom of weeds (mainly broadleafs) kill off switch that is just popping up? I want to spray, but heard 2-4D can harm young switch and also prevent germination for 2-3 weeks? I'm working with an area that was drilled bare dirt. It was drilled a month ago. In some spots, I can see early rows coming up really well, and nothing in other areas. The weeds are too short to mow, but thick enough to shade out anything below. I hit the area with Quinclorac and Simazind after drilling, but must not have put it on heavy enough. Thoughts?
It'll be fine. Wait until weeds are bigger and mow. I would def not spray 2,4d right now as it would smoke young switch.

Just joined upon finding this info in regards to switchgrass. And of course I found it too late.
Anyway I no tilled switch the first week of May after applying rup and 24d. Had a good burn down of weeds and grass I thought things were looking good in regards to weed control.
Fast forward to the present and switch is beginning to sprout but several plots are also being over run with dog bane and thistle.
I'm impatiently waiting for the switch to get mature enough to hit with 24d.
Other than clipping and 24d what else if anything can be done to get the dog bane and thistle under control.
My research has led me to believe that dog bane is hard eradicate.
Any suggestions ?

Just joined upon finding this info in regards to switchgrass. And of course I found it too late.
Anyway I no tilled switch the first week of May after applying rup and 24d. Had a good burn down of weeds and grass I thought things were looking good in regards to weed control.
Fast forward to the present and switch is beginning to sprout but several plots are also being over run with dog bane and thistle.
I'm impatiently waiting for the switch to get mature enough to hit with 24d.
Other than clipping and 24d what else if anything can be done to get the dog bane and thistle under control.
My research has led me to believe that dog bane is hard eradicate.
Any suggestions ?
Really don't think weeds in 1st year switch are worth worrying about. Just mow before anything seeds and smoke it all in fall after switch is dormant. You'll have a beautiful stand year 2.

When does switch normally go go dormant in the fall ?
From what I know after talking with farmer friends, they all suggest fall spraying and its important that weeds are still living/growing so that they uptake the herbicide.
So the timing of dormancy for the switch and weeds still growing is what I will need pin down.
Thoughts ?

When does switch normally go go dormant in the fall ?
From what I know after talking with farmer friends, they all suggest fall spraying and its important that weeds are still living/growing so that they uptake the herbicide.
So the timing of dormancy for the switch and weeds still growing is what I will need pin down.
Thoughts ?
For fescue and unwanted grasses, (Brome etc ) I spray glyophosphate after a couple hard frosts, normally first to second week of November in central Iowa. Natives are then dormant and fescue etc. is still alive. This has been the best time by far for me to kill brome. I know you were concerned with other weeds as well and broad leaf weeds may be dormant or dead by then, I think they need mowed or sprayed before they go to seed.

Top Bottom