Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

dbltree,

This will be the third year for my NWSG planting which will require me to burn 16 acres of it. I have about 8 acres that has Big Bluestem and Little Bluestem along with some forbs that ended up very thin. I would like to convert this to switchgrass but keep the BB and LB. My plan was to spray with 2-4D this fall and frost seed the switch this spring with a no-till drill. Then I would burn in late April to mid March. Apply a good dose of atrazine after the burn. Would burning affect the frost seeded switch? Or is there another approach to this?

Thanks,
Trev

Would burning affect the frost seeded switch?

I'm always leery of that but I have no solid data to confirm that it might be a problem, no question atrazine will be more effective if the trash is removed via burning. You might consider spraying 4 ounces of Panoramic this fall rather then 2-4D and use another 2 ounces with the atrazine in the the spring for better foxtail control.

Frost seeded two different 3 acre locations this year with CIR purchased from Osenbaughs. How been following Dbltree and others advice when frost seeding in past with success. This is a first and need some advice. Both locations look very thin in the CIR department compared with past frost seedings. I was able to get a great kill past fall with RUP and Oust and atrazine in spring. One of the locations exploded with big bluestem and indiangrass almost as if I planted that. The other location just thin showing of CIR with the weeds coming on in both at both locations late june on. Question? Just be patient right? The seed was good and was not given the wrong seed. How do I go about handling the weeds? Mow in October and Oust in early April. My past CIR planting have not done this and I am a little concerned. Thanks

Usually it will fill in the second year so I would wait til it's dormant for the year and mow it (but still leave it 8-12" high) and then spray with 1 ounce of Oust and 1 quart of gly in early April.

Every year is different but more often then not the 1st year CIR seedings are pretty slow, growing down rather then up the first year.

will gly. kill goldenrod in the fall even though it has already flowered after switch has gone to sleep

Will 2-4d amine harm switchgrass?

Not unless it's just germinating. If you read back, it explains how long til it's safe. Let's say you wanted to spray it in July for example, you're fine. It's just when the plants are just sprouting for that 1st couple weeks is when you wanna avoid it

If one were to plant switch right now, would rye work with it as a cover crop?

It's to late in the summer to plant NWSG...they grow slowly and need time to put down a root system before winter. Rye has allelopathic chemicals that can inhibit small seed germination the following spring so better to plant oats that will freeze off this winter and then frost seed the switch into the dead oat mulch. ;)

I have alot of foxtail still in my SG...I have some Oust, should I spray it this fall or would it be better to hold off untill spring? Do I supplement the Oust with something or just use Oust?

Thanks

I have alot of foxtail still in my SG...I have some Oust, should I spray it this fall or would it be better to hold off untill spring? Do I supplement the Oust with something or just use Oust?

Thanks

Spray Oust in the spring on dormant but established switchgrass in early April...spray Paramount on foxtail while seedling switchgrass is growing...:way:

An update on a first year switch grass seeding from this past weekend. The field has some weed competition and at varrying stages. One area is noticably better looking than others, with the switch grass being 4ft+ tall and really thick! Other areas the weeds took over and the switch is there but just not as tall and thick. I'm not sure what the 'x-factor' was in causing such a difference?
Here you can see the edge of the area, seeded/treated with herbicide on the left and the right recieved nothing.
IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

This spot was neat to see the change in habitat and the 'edges' it created. switch grass on the left, sumac in the middle, and big blue on the right.
IMG_0101.jpg

Pretty easy to see here the difference in the treated/seeded area vs one where fire has just gone through once... last year this entire hillside looked like the area on the left in this picture... the change out there now is pretty neat to see!
IMG_0125.jpg

Some switch plants were only a foot tall while others were 4+ ft tall and seeded out the first year.
IMG_0098.jpg

This is another different first year switch grass field had it had some major weed troubles (but recieved the exact same treatment as the above field?) so we mowed it once this summer. It is hard to ID the switch amongst all the foxtail since most of it didn't seed out, but I was able to find a few plants that seeded out. Hopefully this area springs up with switch next year!
IMG_0192.jpg

Outstanding Jordan! Thanks for the pics and examples of the dramatic habitat changes going on at the farm!:way:

Pauls advice brought my grass back to life.

Hopefully these pics transfered

Attachments

• DSCN0743[1].jpg
    DSCN0743[1].jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 323
  • DSCN0744[1].jpg
    DSCN0744[1].jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 317
  • DSCN0745[1].jpg
    DSCN0745[1].jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 320
If anyone is having problems with sedge in their switch like I was you can spray Sedgehammer on it and not hurt your switch. I was a little nervous about using it because the label doesn't address switch but I got awesome results with it on a spot about an acre in size. Its very slow acting and it takes a few weeks to work but I checked it today and that stuff is toast and the switch is coming up again. I also sprayed my clover with it with great results. Its 90 bucks an acre so probably not feasible for large areas but for cleaning up wetter areas where sedge is taking over its a good option.

If anyone is having problems with sedge in their switch like I was you can spray Sedgehammer on it and not hurt your switch. I was a little nervous about using it because the label doesn't address switch but I got awesome results with it on a spot about an acre in size. Its very slow acting and it takes a few weeks to work but I checked it today and that stuff is toast and the switch is coming up again. I also sprayed my clover with it with great results. Its 90 bucks an acre so probably not feasible for large areas but for cleaning up wetter areas where sedge is taking over its a good option.

Good information Fred...thanks!! :way:

4 year old CIR switchgrass established by frost seeding into killed sod in mid winter

IMG_6047.jpg

I sprayed it with 1 quart of glyphosate and 1.5 ounces of Oust XP in early April the second spring to clean up some perennial cool season grasses like fescue. Foxtail is rarely a problem the second year but perennial cool season grasses will not "go away" on their own.

Ideally this stand could be burned in late April this coming spring to help maintain a thick robust stand.... ;)

Top Bottom