Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

My switch is still green, and they're talking teens and snow on sunday.. guess I'll have to spray it in the spring

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I was thinking mow it in the spring and see what happens next year. I went out and looked closer and although some areas are all foxtail, there are pretty big patches with a lot of green mixed in that I think is SG. I took some more pics hoping for a little guidance. I did have some sorghum grow thinking it would be fine for the switch grass going into it's 2nd year. I think switch is growing in it and there aren't cattails. Everything planted at the same time. Thanks
20201101_114224 (1).jpg
20201101_114135 (1).jpg
20201101_114135 (1).jpg

Attachments

• 20201101_113907 (1).jpg
    20201101_113907 (1).jpg
    3 MB · Views: 238
  • 20201101_113912 (1).jpg
    20201101_113912 (1).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 243
  • 20201101_114122 (1).jpg
    20201101_114122 (1).jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 229
  • 20201101_114041 (1) (1).jpg
    20201101_114041 (1) (1).jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 215
I was thinking mow it in the spring and see what happens next year. I went out and looked closer and although some areas are all foxtail, there are pretty big patches with a lot of green mixed in that I think is SG. I took some more pics hoping for a little guidance. I did have some sorghum grow thinking it would be fine for the switch grass going into it's 2nd year. I think switch is growing in it and there aren't cattails. Everything planted at the same time. ThanksView attachment 120025 View attachment 120024 View attachment 120024
I would not mow it. Right now it’s tough to see which is switch in pics, etc. i could make some out though. Foxtail won’t hurt if it didn’t canopy over young switch. So- if ur foxtail got going later & just grew “next to” the switch - it’ll be just fine. I had a last flush of it in august but my switch was going up too so no issue. If u have good number of small switch plants- be just fine. If u wanted to frost seed any more & spray Gly + atrazine before switch comes out of dormancy u could. If u feel like good # of switch plants - u in good shape though.

Reactions: HWC
I would not mow it. Right now it’s tough to see which is switch in pics, etc. i could make some out though. Foxtail won’t hurt if it didn’t canopy over young switch. So- if ur foxtail got going later & just grew “next to” the switch - it’ll be just fine. I had a last flush of it in august but my switch was going up too so no issue. If u have good number of small switch plants- be just fine. If u wanted to frost seed any more & spray Gly + atrazine before switch comes out of dormancy u could. If u feel like good # of switch plants - u in good shape though.
Thanks! What a relief. The field was brown for several weeks so I think the foxtail came in late and didn't canopy it except about a 10 yard wide path on the very outside. There is no green mixed in there, just thick fox tail. Otherwise I am seeing quite a bit of green what looks like switch. I will frost seed some more in Feb. Especially over the thicker fox tail.

There u go. I made the claim on July 1 that the switch that was coming up would be chest tall. 1st year switch. Next year should hit 7-8’ & 3rd year be completely filled in & 8’ tall in right areas. 3rd year: 7’ tall & thick on decent soils is reasonable to expect depending on varieties planted. Here’s year 1....
checked back today & a few comments around it....

Can seed anytime now. On varieties- soil & location key. If it’s all switch u do.... ideally do 2-3 varieties.
*I would “somewhat disregard” height on 1st photo. September is time to judge height. Some switch grows at different times of summer by few weeks difference. So - how they end- 1st pic does not demonstrate that.
98C42A1F-51E1-45D2-8711-93F398F05586.jpeg
28BC62C7-0FD4-47B9-8692-E2C34D968CCF.jpeg
146090C2-0404-4284-A7E3-E5AD17B77917.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm planting into bottom field that was in beans last year so it will be quite muddy with the melting snow. Would you guys "frost" seed now or wait until the field dries and drill switch in late April or May? I'm leaning towards plan B so I can meter out the seed better. Either way I'll be following up with gly/atrazine, etc.

All, I have read most of this thread and looking to confirm my next steps.

We just frost seeded a total of 12 acres of switchgrass.
I ordered Simazine 4L
My next step is to spray and I want to verify the timeframe here in Michigan.
Dbltree mentioning applying it mid to late April. Simazine stays in the ground for about 60 days. Would you apply it sooner than this?

All, I have read most of this thread and looking to confirm my next steps.

We just frost seeded a total of 12 acres of switchgrass.
I ordered Simazine 4L
My next step is to spray and I want to verify the timeframe here in Michigan.
Dbltree mentioning applying it mid to late April. Simazine stays in the ground for about 60 days. Would you apply it sooner than this?
Mid april: Gly, 2,4-d, Simazine or atrazine
Mid May: Gly & more simazine or atrazine

Walk away and be patient until July/August.

Mow as needed.

What should the plan be for switch that was drilled mid last June? About 75% of it had a good stand, but seemed to be set back after the 2nd mowing due to lack of rain. It was also sprayed in problem areas with Quinclorac to knock back the foxtail. I'm thinking about taking my Brundt drill out this weekend (if firm enough in the morning) and metering out some seed in the thin areas. Thoughts on herbicides and timing, replanting, etc. Thanks!

What should the plan be for switch that was drilled mid last June? About 75% of it had a good stand, but seemed to be set back after the 2nd mowing due to lack of rain. It was also sprayed in problem areas with Quinclorac to knock back the foxtail. I'm thinking about taking my Brundt drill out this weekend (if firm enough in the morning) and metering out some seed in the thin areas. Thoughts on herbicides and timing, replanting, etc. Thanks!
So you had a good stand but didn't plant it until June? Did you stratisfy the seed by an alternate means?

Last year planted a stand of switchgrass that came in very weak. My current plan for recovery is to spray atrazine on that area this week. Other thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last year planted a stand of switchgrass that came in very weak. My current plan for recovery is to spray atrazine on that area this week. Other thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Interseed. Atrazine or simazine. Gly if u catch it before your current plants green up.

There’s also scenarios where ur plants are better than u realize. As in, snap a pic or describe how thin. First year switch can often be small, weedy, possibly a bit thin, etc. u also have a chance some % of seed didn’t germinate until this season here.

long & short- lil more seed & some atrazine - not much cost or risk there. I would advise to do 2-3 varieties of switch. but there’s also a chance ur stand is better than u think. Won’t hurt to spread couple varieties. Spray & still monitor like a new stand & mow or spray if u get issues down road.

Top Bottom