Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

I’ve done this several times , soaking in water for 24 hours , fridge for 30 days dry and plant . I did work the ground before I planted went heavy on atrazine 4 qts . Planted June 1 and had a great stand . I mixed in some pearl millet small amount was told if millet takes CIR would don’t know about that but both came up and great clean stand .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How did you dry the seed after soaking it in water?

How did you dry the seed after soaking it in water?

I spread out a tarp . Put seed on it (Sunny Day ) used a rake to move seed around every time top layer looked dry . Few hours seed was dry enough to plant . Tarp was easy to push seed in pile at end and scoops up .. I used big tarp so I could spread seed out good to dry . Didn’t take long .

8 pounds per acre.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

That’s good for a solid stand , thought if you used less you could get a bit more and drill . You’ll be good . Switch is waiting game drove me nuts first year . Year 2 I was happy . Year 3 proud of myself :)

Last edited:
Issue you will have is switch needs to stratify (freeze/thaw multiple times). Maybe you have done this an alternative way?

I have not but got the information from Real World Wildlife Products. He just puts the bag of seed in the freezer for a couple weeks then removes it for a week and repeats the process 4-5 times. He goes on to state you can look at the seed tag to see how much dormant seed is there. The dormant seeds are the ones that would benefit from stratification while the other seeds would likely germinate without stratification.

At this point I'm considering having the ground cropped again this year so I'm better prepared.

University of Nebraska has a good video on establishing switch grass for biofuel harvest. They give info on planting and herbicide recommendations. I had CIR seed from Pheasants Forever drilled last June. We didn't do anything to the seed accept open the bag and dump it into the drill. It was sprouting in a little over 2 weeks.

Checked some switch today that I burned a couple weeks ago. Its 12" tall.

Screenshot_20210505-220814_Gallery.jpg

Is it to late to spray roundup on a new frost seeded switchgrass planting? I don't see any switch coming up yet, little fox tail and some clover that came back.

When would be a good time to mow? I am located in southern Michigan. The only this coming up is Marestail . I brush hogged a small portion yesterday.

Thanks in advance.

When would be a good time to mow? I am located in southern Michigan. The only this coming up is Marestail . I brush hogged a small portion yesterday.

Thanks in advance.

First year switch you can mow as much as you want. It is only going to help. Usually mow just above switch but I know people have mowed it like a lawn and ended up with phenomenal stands. Def mow before any weeds go to seed.

First year switch you can mow as much as you want. It is only going to help. Usually mow just above switch but I know people have mowed it like a lawn and ended up with phenomenal stands. Def mow before any weeds go to seed.
I sprayed Simazine in March. I know switch is like corn so my patience is a issue

When is the best time to spray quinclorac on foxtail? ive got some 1st and 2nd yr switch. Now or wait another month or so? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

When is the best time to spray quinclorac on foxtail? ive got some 1st and 2nd yr switch. Now or wait another month or so? Thanks

Label says before the 2nd tiller stage so if it popping up Id get on it. I have also used Plateau at 4-6 oz a acre on established stand .. It will be clean it up good. ...

Thanks

Just mowed the perimeter of the 5 acre field. I frost seeded thirty yards around the perimeter for a soft edge. Looks like I have some poking through. Lots of Marestail and other broadleaf.

Label says before the 2nd tiller stage so if it popping up Id get on it. I have also used Plateau at 4-6 oz a acre on established stand .. It will be clean it up good. ...

Thanks
Any idea how long after spraying it is safe from rain? Rain chances almost daily is making it tough to spray. Ive seen 1hr, and 4-5.. Thanks

Last edited:
Top Bottom