Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

First time mowing switchgrass, am i dont this tight????
Lots of sericia, posion ivy dogbane etc
BUT lots of baby switch coming in i think
7eb2ef2109fc2d878a1ab59f805dbe85.jpg

ddda1180d04b748e6f30dc1b304c02f3.jpg

0e4be96c1d5afe68a5e74bef7aec35a1.jpg

609c25d922d1f0c15fee731540b011f8.jpg

a4295e3e59678894b12e2ad0899839d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yessir! Gonna be killer!

U do have a lot of sericia! Wow!! Did u spray atrazine or simazine? Down the road u can use some 2,4-d + dicamba maybe. Or possibly some oust down the road….. not sure if oust would zap it but it possible.

Here is a long range Pic of my Western Field. Do you think I should mow this tonight? I sprayed Simazine just before green up.
58f2423f512bb95a3eb9965182fa8835.jpg
112afb5209c1cac63c5a66692fdda4d5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

U do have a lot of sericia! Wow!! Did u spray atrazine or simazine? Down the road u can use some 2,4-d + dicamba maybe. Or possibly some oust down the road….. not sure if oust would zap it but it possible.

Yup, sprayed 3qt/acre atrazine
I’m trained at eradicating siricia, can spank it with remedy or pastureguard next year about this time i’d imagine.

Here is a long range Pic of my Western Field. Do you think I should mow this tonight? I sprayed Simazine just before green up.
58f2423f512bb95a3eb9965182fa8835.jpg
112afb5209c1cac63c5a66692fdda4d5.jpg

Doesn’t look too bad. In closest part of pics looks like hardly any weeds. Then u see a patch of broadleaves…. If that is where some switch is- I would clip that yes.
looking good!

Doesn’t look too bad. In closest part of pics looks like hardly any weeds. Then u see a patch of broadleaves…. If that is where some switch is- I would clip that yes.
looking good!
Thank you. Died off weeds are from spraying the beans I have planted inside the switch..

I frost seeded/ expanded some switch this spring where I had plot screen last year.. the plot screen is coming in as thick this year as if I planted it. Is their anything I can do this year to keep the plot screen down other than keeping it mowed?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I frost seeded/ expanded some switch this spring where I had plot screen last year.. the plot screen is coming in as thick this year as if I planted it. Is their anything I can do this year to keep the plot screen down other than keeping it mowed?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Egyptian wheat?? Yikes….. honestly… I can’t think of anything. Mowing is it. Maybe someone else can think on this one…. I cannot think of one herbicide that would work.

My switch is still in the bag unfortunately. Plant switch now or wait until next winter? My concern with now is that we are now in the dry season in north MO.

My switch is still in the bag unfortunately. Plant switch now or wait until next winter? My concern with now is that we are now in the dry season in north MO.
That's a gamble.... Could it work? Sure.... If there's moisture in your soil & we get timely rains. If we do continue to majorly dry out and this goes on for some time... Not going to be good.
Secondarily.... You could have some stratification/dormancy issues with seed..... MAYBE, MAYBE NOT... Lot of factors there.
Is it bottom ground? could get it going now & Roll the dice?
If it were MINE????? Bottom ground with moisture & I thought we'd catch up on rain.... & I really wanted to push it cause wanted cover sooner..... I'd do it. I probably would not go plant a 1000 acres next week with it though :) Few acres... I'd try it. More acres, I'd probably wait.

Made a little Maintenance video to help anyone down the road or now.... I had MUSK THISTLES get into about 1-2 acres of Switch/natives..... BAD!!!!!! I had to NAPALM THEM before any seed heads started..... THE NAPALM DID WORK!!!! 2 acres are very thin but freed up now & Noxious weeds fought back. The rest around is "perfect" - but doesn't have thistles so that got nothing done to it and looks great. Anyways, quick vid for any of you guys if this might help!

Soooo 24D kills reeds canary now? I thot it was a grass

Learn something every day!! I suppose there’s a cocktail that somehow smokes it. Hard to say what killed it. But ya- with no Gly or any post emergent for grasses - I was really surprised. It killed it so dead & so fast I thought it would start on fire as I was leaving. :)

Learn something every day!! I suppose there’s a cocktail that somehow smokes it. Hard to say what killed it. But ya- with no Gly or any post emergent for grasses - I was really surprised. It killed it so dead & so fast I thought it would start on fire as I was leaving. :)

This is great news for my pops and his duck farmer aspirations , will pass along

That's a gamble.... Could it work? Sure.... If there's moisture in your soil & we get timely rains. If we do continue to majorly dry out and this goes on for some time... Not going to be good.
Secondarily.... You could have some stratification/dormancy issues with seed..... MAYBE, MAYBE NOT... Lot of factors there.
Is it bottom ground? could get it going now & Roll the dice?
If it were MINE????? Bottom ground with moisture & I thought we'd catch up on rain.... & I really wanted to push it cause wanted cover sooner..... I'd do it. I probably would not go plant a 1000 acres next week with it though :) Few acres... I'd try it. More acres, I'd probably wait.

It is bottom ground and was too wet until first week in June.....when I couldn't get down. Forecast isn't promising for any rain so I'm probably going to hold off until next year and just plant a cover crop this year. May change my mind if a good forecast lines up with my schedule.

Anyone successfully transformed RCG to switchgrass in waterways? Little scared of window of erosion from termination of one to establishment of next. Maybe with adding rye....

Top Bottom