Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

What is this weed? I have it in my switch. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
6a71fa11e4a05539e098d93f269fb93c.jpg
looks like foxtail to me....which is basically what my switch planting is as well....switch has to be the frustrating crop ever planted.....

first glance, I'd say maturing foxtail, it's going/went to seed. I had that occur last year to mine, mowed and mowed and still didn't stop it but this year put oust on it and the stand is a good looking field of switch.

first glance, I'd say maturing foxtail, it's going/went to seed. I had that occur last year to mine, mowed and mowed and still didn't stop it but this year put oust on it and the stand is a good looking field of switch.
What was the timing on your Oust? Second year switch?

Thanks for all the input.
- I’ll add another variety.
- thus fall, I may gly everything to help prepare good soil contact for next spring.
- This winter I’ll prob try the in-and-out of the freezer to get started on stratified. (Or could I just store it outside and let the normal temp swings stratify it?
- Frost seed it in Feb/March by sowing rather than drilling
- keep the same general spraying regimen as this year.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the input.
- I’ll add another variety.
- thus fall, I may gly everything to help prepare good soil contact for next spring.
- This winter I’ll prob try the in-and-out of the freezer to get started on stratified. (Or could I just store it outside and let the normal temp swings stratify it?
- Frost seed it in Feb/March by sowing rather than drilling
- keep the same general spraying regimen as this year.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One more thing.... i would not spray 2,4d as late as you did. First application fine, 2nd spraying eliminate 2,4d.

What is this weed? I have it in my switch. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
6a71fa11e4a05539e098d93f269fb93c.jpg
Type of foxtail. Not giant foxtail- which is good. Clip it & keep canopy open for switch.

This was a mixed year on switch planting …. A lot of folks saw the drought hit at the wrong time. If drought did set you back, some folks are left with weeds. Others do have smaller plants that will make it if they keep the canopy open. Do not give up. Tough growing years are part of the game.

*spot on with 2,4-d. Early on you’re fine. Agree. Then when switch plants are tall (several leaves, I’d just make sure about 12” tall to be safe) - u could do 2,4-d then if needed.

Learning never ends. I did some herbicide experimenting on switch this year…. Post emergence in some circumstances….
broadleaves: 2,4-d + atrazine & some ams - NUCLEAR. Works amazing. When switch is big enough to handle.

foxtail & crabgrass: quinclorac & atrazine & an oil or ams.

I would always prefer to fight broadleaves over grasses like foxtail & crabgrass. But- waged a pretty darn good war on em. those combos led to majority good stands & weed control. Again- more issues this year with drought & so on. But - the good stands & where weed control needed- getting a little more dialed in on exactly what to spray that’s the best result seen yet. FYI.

Can someone explain the differences between the different Crop oils and why or which one to use with which Herbicides.
Or is there a single General purpose one that would work with most Herbicides Food plotters would use.

NonIonic Surfactants, Crop oil Concetrates, Nitrogen Surfractants, Seed Oils, Methylated Seed oil

I have some similar looking first year switchgrass stands with what hoytshooter posted (with the foxtail). Will quincloac work if sprayed now (or next week) or is it too late since they are in the process of going to seed and will have to handle it next year?

Can someone explain the differences between the different Crop oils and why or which one to use with which Herbicides.
Or is there a single General purpose one that would work with most Herbicides Food plotters would use.

NonIonic Surfactants, Crop oil Concetrates, Nitrogen Surfractants, Seed Oils, Methylated Seed oil
Here’s link that best describes all that in very solid & thorough detail …..

I have some similar looking first year switchgrass stands with what hoytshooter posted (with the foxtail). Will quincloac work if sprayed now (or next week) or is it too late since they are in the process of going to seed and will have to handle it next year?
If u have time…. Quinclorac & meth seed oil ……. & one more thing, if u can add simazine or atrazine. One mix. That’s by far the best. Spray ASAP.
**That’s PERSONALLY what I would do …. But I’m thinking for best long term choice for the stand. I want it to flourish without all the foxtail.

It's decision time for me. I'm either gonna nuke this thing soon and start over or let it go on the prayer that it's down there yet
We started the year in a drought with a couple small rains in may. June turned blistering hot with maybe a tenth or two. Rain didn't come until the second week of July and that just got the foxtail going. I mowed 3 times and hit it with quinclorac. I see zero switch in this stand. My fear is it may have gotten just enough to germinate in June and then burned up.
I hate to let it go and waste another year if it's cooked. I might just flip a coin. Lol
IMG_20210814_131425.jpg
IMG_20210814_131900.jpg

It's decision time for me. I'm either gonna nuke this thing soon and start over or let it go on the prayer that it's down there yet
We started the year in a drought with a couple small rains in may. June turned blistering hot with maybe a tenth or two. Rain didn't come until the second week of July and that just got the foxtail going. I mowed 3 times and hit it with quinclorac. I see zero switch in this stand. My fear is it may have gotten just enough to germinate in June and then burned up.
I hate to let it go and waste another year if it's cooked. I might just flip a coin. LolView attachment 121200View attachment 121201
Sameskis bro...A good buddy keeps telling me its there but I also went through the drought your talking about...I mowed it yesterday for the 3rd time this summer...I have walked all over it and have not seen anything the would lead me to believe there is switch growing...My plan is to nuke the field here is September or October and just start over next year....sucks but it is what it is at this point....I want switch SO bad but am struggling to see any of it growing yet and I am terribly impatient...I have literally lost sleep over this stuff lol

If you frost seed in February/March, do you guys do any soil prep in the fall to help the seed to soil contact? Like spray in the fall to kill everything?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you frost seed in February/March, do you guys do any soil prep in the fall to help the seed to soil contact? Like spray in the fall to kill everything?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No Sir , Just spread the seed you do not want to disturb the soil ... Freeze Thaw will work it in ..

Top Bottom