Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Switchgrass

Planted switch last year. Got a very weak stand (very spotty growth). Thinking I may spray with atrazine to keep the forbs at bay. Any negatives to that approach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm doing 50 acres into last years corn field but I'm doing a CP-25 tall grass mix. Heavy on the switch though. What's the consensus for simizine with other natives mixed in?

Thanks
Imazapic or plateau/panoramic is probably a guys best friend when it comes to natives & forbs. Check out label. The downside is switchgrass. There is a way to do switch as well & get all natives & forbs to be fine …. Lower the rate a bit & spray a bit earlier. Burn down with Gly, 2,4-d & imazapic. If u run 2 oz to maybe even up to 5-6 oz - ur switch can be ok. What helps is spraying earlier. With a broad mix- run 2 oz.

Everything has its +/-‘s - everything!!! Plateau/imazapic is hard on switch but friendly to most else (see label). But lower rates are the solution. The downside with lower rates…. Plan on 1-2 mowings possibly. Still a lot cleaner & far less weed pressure.

Atrazine & simazine are only friends of: Big blue, switch & little blue. Works great & atrazine/simazine are amazing on forbs/broadleaf weeds. Their weakness is: 1) they can’t be used for other grasses (like Indian, side oats, wild rye, etc etc) or any forbs & 2) foxtail & crabgrass our their weak spots. Solutions for that but that’s the +/- with that tool.

For a “full diverse mix” - 2 options: buy forbs & grasses on imazapic list - which is huge & fantastic. Highest rate possible based on what’s planted. If u can run full rate (12-14-ish) - weed control is amazing!!! Lower amount if switch, etc. 2nd option is simply a gly/2,4-d bomb & plan on using mowing alone first year.

****quick side notes: switch supplies very limited due to drought in SD, ND, etc. On switch stratification…. Depends on when it was harvested, how it was stored, the variety, etc etc. Stratification is a very real issue but yes, there’s often times where the seed coat is less or stratified during storage or even a heavy rainfall spring.

Last edited:
Imazapic or plateau/panoramic is probably a guys best friend when it comes to natives & forbs. Check out label. The downside is switchgrass. There is a way to do switch as well & get all natives & forbs to be fine …. Lower the rate a bit & spray a bit earlier. Burn down with Gly, 2,4-d & imazapic. If u run 2 oz to maybe even up to 5-6 oz - ur switch can be ok. What helps is spraying earlier. With a broad mix- run 2 oz.

Everything has its +/-‘s - everything!!! Plateau/imazapic is hard on switch but friendly to most else (see label). But lower rates are the solution. The downside with lower rates…. Plan on 1-2 mowings possibly. Still a lot cleaner & far less weed pressure.

Atrazine & simazine are only friends of: Big blue, switch & little blue. Works great & atrazine/simazine are amazing on forbs/broadleaf weeds. Their weakness is: 1) they can’t be used for other grasses (like Indian, side oats, wild rye, etc etc) or any forbs & 2) foxtail & crabgrass our their weak spots. Solutions for that but that’s the +/- with that tool.

For a “full diverse mix” - 2 options: buy forbs & grasses on imazapic list - which is huge & fantastic. Highest rate possible based on what’s planted. If u can run full rate (12-14-ish) - weed control is amazing!!! Lower amount if switch, etc. 2nd option is simply a gly/2,4-d bomb & plan on using mowing alone first year.

****quick side notes: switch supplies very limited due to drought in SD, ND, etc. On switch stratification…. Depends on when it was harvested, how it was stored, the variety, etc etc. Stratification is a very real issue but yes, there’s often times where the seed coat is less or stratified during storage or even a heavy rainfall spring.
Hmmmm….decisions decisions. I am already committed to the seed unfortunately. I’m heavy on the switch, big blue, and indiangrass all. I attached the seed mix. FYI it’s not real world just same mix as they quoted me. Based on what I read from your attachment I’m either doing a low-dose plateau or 2 to 3 mowings.

Attachments

• B8B66C36-05C7-4387-8955-E67FEC4B720A.png
    B8B66C36-05C7-4387-8955-E67FEC4B720A.png
    2 MB · Views: 131
Hmmmm….decisions decisions. I am already committed to the seed unfortunately. I’m heavy on the switch, big blue, and indiangrass all. I attached the seed mix. FYI it’s not real world just same mix as they quoted me. Based on what I read from your attachment I’m either doing a low-dose plateau or 2 to 3 mowings.
Either one u pry be fine. Mowing is not the end of world for one year. Just stay on it. If it were me- I might just nuke & seed & mow for year.
K- you have 50 acres …. Just read back. If u got a lot of imazapic tolerant stuff, go Light & if use it.
If batwing - mowing more attractive. +/-‘s to each like said. Use label as much as possible as it will be your friend

Mowing after a nuke is a slightly easier decision to make but NOW but it will for sure have more weeds & take more mowings. +/-

Adding oats at lighter rate is another option as well. I probably shouldn’t open that can of worms but I’ll just post it here as there can be some places for it IMO.

Curious what you all use for the typical "mow schedule" for establishing first year switch?

Much after May 1 as long as the seedlings are beneath the mower?

Last edited:

Is that a mix quoted from Real World? Interesting they are quoting Cave n Rock instead of their own variety. Perhaps supply chain issue?

Curious what you all use for the typical "mow schedule" for establishing first year switch?

Much after May 1 as long as the seedlings are beneath the mower?
Really this just depends on the weed pressure. Last year I mowed about once a month as I was in a fist fight with fox tail(it won). Also my plan was to keep mowing because if my seeding had failed, i would have plenty short enough thatch to reseed into this winter. But my plan was to stop mowing as soon as the switch got above the weeds, well that never happened with the drought last year or whatever the reasoning was.

roughly may 15 through mid August is time to mow. Keep canopy open for small grasses. Don’t let weeds get out of control!! Don’t want to smother new plants or let them get choked out. Higher RPM cut at around 8”-10” is generally about where I cut. Foxtail is about the worst thing to get & requires the most mowings IMO. No exact schedule on mowing - just need to watch close & make sure u hammer it before it gets out of hand. U can bill the FSA for the mowings as well & get reimbursement

*Bassattackr…. Ya- supply chain but for different reasons…. Severe drought in dakotas really killed the supply. I talked to a few growers & the distributors up there- not good. I might harvest some of my stands in iowa & ive never dealt with drought impacting natives with soil differences.

The power of fall spraying is illustrated pretty well here. Closer stuff almost zero green was fall sprayed. Green area farther away was not. The whole area was burned in March and frost seeded. Fall spray whenever possible.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220412-120157_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220412-120157_Gallery.jpg
    795.6 KB · Views: 174
Does Simazine have to be sprayed on bare soil, or would it help a new stand from last year that was mowed last fall and is 6-8" tall?

Skip, when you say spray earlier when you thinking exactly? I’m gonna do gly and plateau at 2oz on my diverse mix. Thanks

Skip, when you say spray earlier when you thinking exactly? I’m gonna do gly and plateau at 2oz on my diverse mix. Thanks
On a diverse mix…. I’d probably get it done in next few weeks when soil temps rise. The idea/goal is dealing with 2 different spray times/goals that are ideal:
1) emphasis spray LATER than possible if cool seasons needing killed. Few weeks from now- can be done if cool seasons there. Need to nuke them.
2) emphasis on spraying EARLIER means nothing in ur mix will germinate & be killed with Gly. Stuff like forbs in there.

So- the combo to try & compromise is likely to wait 2-3 weeks so all cool seasons going & spray/nuke & add your imazapic. Also- with switch - this allows imazapic/plateau to wear off & be long gone by time it may germinate (switch may be mid June through July depending on weather). So- keep that canopy open after u spray & keep tabs on it. If this were mine, diverse mix- I’m guessing I’m clipping it 2 or 3 times. But be very flexible & ready either way. Some years it’s 1 time. Some it’s 3…. depending on year & weed pressure.

Hey Guys- lots of awesome info in here so much appreciated! Have a question on foxtail control. I have a couple acre spot I'm trying to establish some CIR. I had prepped the site the previous fall (2020) as instructed frost seeded in March (2021) and sprayed with simazine/gly/24d in early April. I thought I had established switch but later in the summer realized it was foxtail (and a lot of it). I read on here that I could use quinclorac so I hit it with that but I'm afraid that it probably went to seed before I got it killed (was later august). I have already hit it with the simazine/gly/24d this year and am wondering if I still see some green grass coming up is that the foxtail reemerging? If yes, do I just hit it with Gly again and would that take care of it? Side note- I don't have a mower that can go above 4-5" so am not sure if I should be mowing. Appreciate any advice!

Hey Guys- lots of awesome info in here so much appreciated! Have a question on foxtail control. I have a couple acre spot I'm trying to establish some CIR. I had prepped the site the previous fall (2020) as instructed frost seeded in March (2021) and sprayed with simazine/gly/24d in early April. I thought I had established switch but later in the summer realized it was foxtail (and a lot of it). I read on here that I could use quinclorac so I hit it with that but I'm afraid that it probably went to seed before I got it killed (was later august). I have already hit it with the simazine/gly/24d this year and am wondering if I still see some green grass coming up is that the foxtail reemerging? If yes, do I just hit it with Gly again and would that take care of it? Side note- I don't have a mower that can go above 4-5" so am not sure if I should be mowing. Appreciate any advice!
I would burn it for starters. Later the better. You are doing it right on herbicide.

• Deleted by Ishi
Show…
  • Deleted by Ishi
Show…
  • Deleted by Ishi
Show…
Oh ok. Will the burn kill what's greened up then (I'm assuming is the foxtail)? I don't know what our ground temps are but feel like they are lower than average right now so is mid May too late?

Oh ok. Will the burn kill what's greened up then (I'm assuming is the foxtail)? I don't know what our ground temps are but feel like they are lower than average right now so is mid May too late?
It'll set it back. And the black will Kickstart your switch as ground will heat up quicker.

If you can still start a fire into May that is ideal.

Top Bottom