Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Taxidermy crappie question

I got my crappie back...I think. It looks like the same fish but somehow it's 1 1/2" shorter. Why?

Assuming it’s a skin mount? They always shrink, or at least all the skin mounts I’ve got on my wall did as well.

Replicas are the way to go IMO. Last forever and will always be able to be touched up. Plus your releasing that trophy for someone else to catch some day.

I agree about releasing fish. I was looking at it on the drive home and the more I saw it the shorter it got. I put a tape on it and was thinking wtf.
I also had the guy do a reproduction of a 11 1/2" bluegill that I released years ago. Paid more for the reproduction but it was well worth it. Great details on reproductions these days, and he painted it just like the picture of the fish. And it's the correct size

1.5” is a Lot of shrinkage on a skin mount.
That's what I thought too. I had a 7# bass done by another taxidermist in 2008 it measures within 1/4" and was also a skin mount.
I can tell by the tail that this is my crappie. But the distance between the dorsal fin and the top of the mouth doesn't look right. I guess my next mount will be a repro or go back to the guy that did my bass.

Top Bottom