Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Texas Guiding Thread 2016

TheMadCatter

Most of you don't know but this summer I decided to take a job being a hunting guide on a low fence/high fence ranch in Southern Texas. I've never hunted a high fence myself and doubt I ever will, but this has been a very neat opportunity. I'll be here for two months this summer and then I head to a well known hunting outfitter in Northwest Wyoming to guide Elk and Mule Deer hunts.

I haven't had much free time but it's my lunch break right now and figured I'd toss up a few pictures and make a thread showcasing all of my hunts this summer. I'll make a new one for this fall.

I've been so busy I didn't notice I was drawn for mule deer in Colorado and thankfully it's the later season so I'll be pretty well done with guiding in Wyoming.

My first guided hunt was a young man Wes, who was 7 years old. We had a bunch of fun and by the end of the hunt he didn't want to leave! He shot a beautiful Corsican Ram and two Hogs.

His grandfather, father, and family friend all shot animals. Parker, a family friend harvested his first animal that wasn't a coyote. A nice boar meat hog.

His grandfather shot a few hogs as well.

I had the owner of Hedogarchery come with his two sons and arrowed their first animals as well. It was a tough hunt with lots of fun memories.

I'll be sure to keep the posts rolling.

Last edited:
I am going to say that those otherwise nice looking harvest photos are UNOFFICIAL...as I do not see any cats in them! :D

Seriously though, that looks like fun, enjoy your time there!

Great work so far, Texas will be a good warm up for ya, dealing with people, and getting animals recovered and taken care of, in very warm weather. Wyoming will be a lot of hard work and long hours, but you are gonna have a blast! Keep the pictures coming, good luck.

Those are some scary old boars. Are there any low fence Nilgai around?

You should see the bigger one...no pictures of him because there's no way I'm getting close to him again! Last time he charged me when we were hunting there and almost got my leg.

I don't think there's any Nilgai running around, I've only seen LF Rams, Axis, Aoudad, Oryx, Fallow, Sika, and Blackbuck so far.

Man I wish I would have done this at your age. Keep on living the dream buddy!!! Great photos by the way.

Kratz

Shot my first Axis deer tonight! 250 yard shot, 27.5" and 28" beams. Great buck! Hunted this morning with no luck and I was lucky enough to catch a glimpse of this Axis half a mile away and sneak within 250 yards of him before he noticed me there.

I think some hog hunting is in order! Saw a bunch of piggies running around everywhere.

I found another rattlesnake too! While walking through some thick grass he started throwing a fit. Luckily we both kept a pretty good distance from each other.

Last edited:
Great buck. Long caudles. Let us know how he eats. Reputation for some of the finest venison.

Scimitar horned oryx are extinct in the wild and only occur on a handful of ranches in Texas. I'm pretty sure they are taking some of them from those ranches (or already have) to try and reestablish a wild population in north Africa. I've seen a herd of them along the fence of a high-fence operation near Del Rio, driving to Laredo.

Great Axis, too!

Scimitar horned oryx are extinct in the wild and only occur on a handful of ranches in Texas. I'm pretty sure they are taking some of them from those ranches (or already have) to try and reestablish a wild population in north Africa. I've seen a herd of them along the fence of a high-fence operation near Del Rio, driving to Laredo. Great Axis, too!

You can buy males for less than a grown steer. If it wasn't for high fence hunting those Oryx would have gone completely extinct IMO.

Last edited:
You can buy males for less than a grown steer. If it wasn't for high fence hunting those Oryx would have gone completely extinct IMO.

Yep. They were brought over here for both hunting and to conserve what was left of the population, knowing that they would be restocked in the wild someday.

You'll all be happy to know I have adopted a stray kitten here in Texas. Poor little fella was outside in the sticks meowing.

Top Bottom