Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Thanksgiving Doe Season question...

iatreehugger

PMA Member
Can someone please remind me why the DNR thought this was such a great idea?! This has got to be a poachers dream come true! I was also wondering how many of you heard slugs banging yesterday.

I don't think "poachers" much care what season is going on. I think this season can go away. They need to repopulate pheasants so the family can go bird hunting instead.. being a mostly public land hunter, they need to do a better job of getting the word out that this season is for Private land only..

I am no means a poacher, but I did hunt the early doe season last year to get a jump on the doe population. We did have success and saw a lot of mature deer we had hopes of seeing during shotgun season. We did get some great deer, but felt we did more harm than good as far as the deer we were seeing. With that, we have decided to stay away until opening weekend of shotgun season. We prefer to keep the deer from being excited any earlier than need be. We only hunt and take mature bucks and take enough does to keep things balanced.

That's what is so discouraging about this season, pushing deer around and running the big bucks out of their holes and not seeing them during the regular gun seasons.. Heck, it just puts all deer on guard too early.

saw the band of orange in southern Iowa this weekend pushing deer. they were on public ground .

saw the band of orange in southern Iowa this weekend pushing deer. they were on public ground .

A lot of people don't realize that this season is limited to private land only. :thrwrck:.....or they just don't care. seems to be a common attitude down there by a few.

They should have never made it for public land in the first place. People never recheck the regs and just go from what they knew the first year the season was available. I've had more than my share of run in's with guys hunting this season on public since the change and they all tell me I'm wrong.. I reassure them I am not and offer them my phone to call the CO. They never take me up on that offer..

Where are these seasons at? Southern Iowa or state wide? I have never heard of it before.

They are not statewide. Only specific counties have this hunt AND only if the tags were available when they went up for sale. Mostly the southern counties and a few west and NE.

Last edited:
Well I didn't hear much shooting in my area thank goodness. I heard a DNR rep on the radio yesterday. He was asked about the deer pop, and how much influence the Farm Bureau had, and he said he would only comment on that off the air. Everyone knows,,they have alot!

I was out Squirrel hunting all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I heard gun shots far away several times. Nothing like when shotgun season is around. I saw plenty of deer while I was out. I should have gotten a tag but I dont like butchering deer when its this warm. One advantage to shooting them now is the bambies are really young and tender.

Top Bottom