Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The dirty side of whitetail hunting........

Why do some of these threads need to turn into personal attacks?

We should all be able to voice our opinions and others have differing opinions/debates without resorting to personal attacks. We're all entitled to our beliefs and shouldn't have to defend them more than them being purely beliefs.

Why do some of these threads need to turn into personal attacks?

We should all be able to voice our opinions and others have differing opinions/debates without resorting to personal attacks. We're all entitled to our beliefs and shouldn't have to defend them more than them being purely beliefs.

When one side feels like they no longer have solid ground to stand on, they turn it personal and try to deflect from that facts. Common tactic that I have seen used over and over on this topic. They start to try to dismiss the other sides position by insinuating that its all a big lie, etc. They try to discredit the source rather than look at facts. When all else fails, try to yell louder and distract. I think you can see where the personal attacks and distraction all started in post #77. That's when the frustration set in.

By the way, I have yet to ever hear a single reason for NRLO's to get tag preference that is not a selfish want and that would not be detrimental to Iowa and its resident hunters and farmers. Not one. I think that's why they get so frustrated. Its difficult to want something so badly that has negative consequences for others and still try to justify it. Frustration always turns personal.

NRLO not getting tag preference is also a selfish want on the part of residents. So u have both sides of the coin there. Im more worried about deer #s than I am a land owner getting tags to hunt his own land. They aren't hunting public land and probably not letting anyone hunt their land anyhow.

NRLO not getting tag preference is also a selfish want on the part of residents. So u have both sides of the coin there. Im more worried about deer #s than I am a land owner getting tags to hunt his own land. They aren't hunting public land and probably not letting anyone hunt their land anyhow.

You are missing the whole premise behind the debate. For every NRLO today, there are several more that would buy up ground in a heartbeat if they were guaranteed tags. I know of several and that is no exception. Any honest realtor that lives in good deer hunting areas will substantiate my claim.

That is in no way selfish of Iowa's hunters and farmers. It is just self preservation. It's concerning that we have residents that hunt that don't grasp this.

Last edited:
When one side feels like they no longer have solid ground to stand on, they turn it personal and try to deflect from that facts. Common tactic that I have seen used over and over on this topic. They start to try to dismiss the other sides position by insinuating that its all a big lie, etc. They try to discredit the source rather than look at facts. When all else fails, try to yell louder and distract. I think you can see where the personal attacks and distraction all started in post #77. That's when the frustration set in.

By the way, I have yet to ever hear a single reason for NRLO's to get tag preference that is not a selfish want and that would not be detrimental to Iowa and its resident hunters and farmers. Not one. I think that's why they get so frustrated. Its difficult to want something so badly that has negative consequences for others and still try to justify it. Frustration always turns personal.

I'll give you one!! How about we as NRLO can get fair priced doe tags so that we can manage their farms like every other landowner does in the 49 other states. I don't think that is asking too much. Another nice feature would be when my sons and I go to Iowa, maybe they could actually get a low priced youth tag, so we could shoot a doe or two and bring them back for venison or we could share some venison with some of my elderly clients?

I doubt low priced doe tags will result in a land rush

I'll give you one!! How about we as NRLO can get fair priced doe tags so that we can manage their farms like every other landowner does in the 49 other states. I don't think that is asking too much. Another nice feature would be when my sons and I go to Iowa, maybe they could actually get a low priced youth tag, so we could shoot a doe or two and bring them back for venison or we could share some venison with some of my elderly clients? I doubt low priced doe tags will result in a land rush

How about NRLO quit complaining about tags. NRLO haven't been given tags in how long? If you don't like the rules buy land somewhere else!

I'll give you one!! How about we as NRLO can get fair priced doe tags so that we can manage their farms like every other landowner does in the 49 other states. I don't think that is asking too much. Another nice feature would be when my sons and I go to Iowa, maybe they could actually get a low priced youth tag, so we could shoot a doe or two and bring them back for venison or we could share some venison with some of my elderly clients?

I doubt low priced doe tags will result in a land rush

I doubt it would either. But, you and I both know that is not what most of the fuss is about. The reason most bought ground was not to come here and shoot a doe. But, like I have already said, a couple of doe tags does not constitute a management plan. And, allowing doe tags turned into far too much temptation for a lot of guys that only came to hunt their does during the rut. (weird) It was an enforcement nightmare for our wardens and they hated it. There really was a LOT of abuse and that is the main reason it went away.

Got any more?

You are missing the whole premise behind the debate. For every NRLO today, there are several more that would buy up ground in a heartbeat if they were guaranteed tags. I know of several and that is no exception. Any honest realtor that lives in good deer hunting areas will substantiate my claim.

That is in no way selfish of Iowa's hunters and farmers. It is just self preservation. It's concerning that we have residents that hunt that don't grasp this.

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think its a 1-1 correlation. Land isn't exactly free nor cheap at the moment. Sure, you'd maybe have some more land bought up by NR's, but it won't completely ruin the sport Granted both of these are our opinions.

We see your opinion as its posted in every other post on this thread. Just because you don't agree with something doesn't mean you can't understand why that person would have that belief. Being selfish is human nature...it's the primary reason why we do a lot of things.

Most people buying land for hunting only are managing their property. So a NRLO buying land may actually help the management of the surrounding properties. He's probably not wanting to decimate his deer herd after paying all that $ for the land. I think outfitters are a much bigger threat.

It would help land values (land is now more sought after), but it may hurt the ability to get permission on private land. Look at all sides of the story, you can see why someone feels the way they do. If you had all that $ invested in your land, you'd feel strongly that you should be able to hunt it the same as the other land owners do.

The point I'm making is that if we allow RLO to have land owner tags, then we ought to allow NRLO the same. Or, we can get rid of the land owner tag program all together then it's the same for both parties. It's not really a debate anyhow because as the law stands a NRLO cannot get an any-sex land owner tag anyhow.

Self preservation = selfish...it's just a fancier way of saying it. I understand what you are saying but I don't agree that it's the right way to be. That's the point of debate. I can see both sides but I don't neccessarily have to agree with one or the other.

Last edited:
Take it for what is it, Iowa will never again be what it was in the 90's a and early 2000's. Honestly, without all that ground locked up currently it would have declined at a much faster rate. Look there's your positive to NRLO's. It certainly wasn't them who caused this drastic decline in population. Iowans would have screwed it up several years sooner if they owned that ground.......

Take it for what is it, Iowa will never again be what it was in the 90's a and early 2000's. Honestly, without all that ground locked up currently it would have declined at a much faster rate. Look there's your positive to NRLO's. It certainly wasn't them who caused this drastic decline in population. Iowans would have screwed it up several years sooner if they owned that ground.......

Completely agreed. Residents ruined the deer population much before any NRLO was even allowed to. It's not like the residents can work together towards a sensible harvest.

Completely agreed. Residents ruined the deer population much before any NRLO was even allowed to. It's not like the residents can work together towards a sensible harvest.

Don't worry we have done the same thing in Indiana to ourselves. It's mind numbing how stupid the general hunting public is.

Yes, unfortunately the general public, unregulated, does a very poor job on management. Blast everything crowds are sadly the norm. If everyone was like guys on here, we'd have mammoth deer on every block of land. The guys not reading this in the general public need to have the DNR set regulations in place that keep the management and biology of the herd in great shape. Without that, we're screwed.

I doubt it would either. But, you and I both know that is not what most of the fuss is about. The reason most bought ground was not to come here and shoot a doe. But, like I have already said, a couple of doe tags does not constitute a management plan. And, allowing doe tags turned into far too much temptation for a lot of guys that only came to hunt their does during the rut. (weird) It was an enforcement nightmare for our wardens and they hated it. There really was a LOT of abuse and that is the main reason it went away.

Got any more?

(Weird) yes, funny they don't do anything about the terrible trespassing and poaching. Give me one case please where a nonresident landowner shot a buck with a doe tag please?? Since there was a LOT of abuse!!

I doubt he would risk it, knowing he would be banned from hunting in Iowa

Last edited:
I understand what you are saying, but I don't think its a 1-1 correlation. Land isn't exactly free nor cheap at the moment. Sure, you'd maybe have some more land bought up by NR's, but it won't completely ruin the sport Granted both of these are our opinions.

We see your opinion as its posted in every other post on this thread. Just because you don't agree with something doesn't mean you can't understand why that person would have that belief. Being selfish is human nature...it's the primary reason why we do a lot of things.

Most people buying land for hunting only are managing their property. So a NRLO buying land may actually help the management of the surrounding properties. He's probably not wanting to decimate his deer herd after paying all that $ for the land. I think outfitters are a much bigger threat.

It would help land values (land is now more sought after), but it may hurt the ability to get permission on private land. Look at all sides of the story, you can see why someone feels the way they do. If you had all that $ invested in your land, you'd feel strongly that you should be able to hunt it the same as the other land owners do.

The point I'm making is that if we allow RLO to have land owner tags, then we ought to allow NRLO the same. Or, we can get rid of the land owner tag program all together then it's the same for both parties. It's not really a debate anyhow because as the law stands a NRLO cannot get an any-sex land owner tag anyhow.

Self preservation = selfish...it's just a fancier way of saying it. I understand what you are saying but I don't agree that it's the right way to be. That's the point of debate. I can see both sides but I don't neccessarily have to agree with one or the other.

Believe this.... If NRLO's are guaranteed tags, you will either own land to hunt on, or you will pay to hunt, or you will be stuck hunting public ground that is basically barren of wildlife. No different than Texas, Illinois, etc. Sorry, but that is just the way it would go. Most NRLO's realize this.

NRLO's do usually improve the hunting on their property and the property surrounding. But that wont do you any good if you cant have access. Its really that simple. Did you know that in Texas you have to go into a drawing to hunt on public ground as a resident? No guarantees. It could happen in any state that has a small amount of public ground. Just something to think about.

(Weird) yes, funny they don't do anything about the terrible trespassing and poaching. Give me one case please where a landowner shot a buck with a doe tag please?? Since there was a LOT of abuse!!

My neighbor had a warden respond almost immediately to trespassers hunting out of season this year and he caught both guys and took guns and issued tickets. Poachers are caught and prosecuted every year. Not sure where you get your information. Call the DNR for specifics on cases. I am not going to drag any names out here. Suffice it to say, there was enough abuse of doe tags that it ended the opportunity. There was no other conspiracy involved. It was pushed hard by enforcement officers because it was a widespread issue. Officers are all listed on the DNR website with phone numbers. Call any of them in southern Iowa and ask if doe tags were abused by NR's. Don't take my word for it.

OK.. Since this is all hypothetical.... How about only NRLOs currently on record get an annual tag that they pay regular NR fees that allows them to hunt their property. This would increase $$$ for the state of Iowa without creating the crazy land rush some resident hunters are so fearful of!

My neighbor had a warden respond almost immediately to trespassers hunting out of season this year and he caught both guys and took guns and issued tickets. Poachers are caught and prosecuted every year. Not sure where you get your information. Call the DNR for specifics on cases. I am not going to drag any names out here. Suffice it to say, there was enough abuse of doe tags that it ended the opportunity. There was no other conspiracy involved. It was pushed hard by enforcement officers because it was a widespread issue. Officers are all listed on the DNR website with phone numbers. Call any of them in southern Iowa and ask if doe tags were abused by NR's. Don't take my word for it.

They are not stopping much, nearly everyone I talk to has trespassing issues./cameras stolen...etc.

OK.. Since this is all hypothetical.... How about only NRLOs currently on record get an annual tag that they pay regular NR fees that allows them to hunt their property. This would increase $$$ for the state of Iowa without creating the crazy land rush some resident hunters are so fearful of!

Grandfather us in...good idea!

Because then the NR's that didn't already buy ground would start whining just like you. lol

Nothing self serving about that idea! :D

I love it.....well, just let me get my way and then I will quit whining and we can quit worrying about what anyone might want. Classic.

You are definitely the poster child of the "Me,me,me, NRLO's.

Top Bottom