Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The Fox

ShedHunter1

I call this the "Fox" buck! He has a blondish red tint to him. I have been getting pictures of this buck all seasons long. From picking 2 right side sheds up off him over the past years to velvet and hard horn pictures of him.
As many of you know I bowhunt my 20 acres. Yes, 20 acres.
I have hinge cut, made bedding areas and strategically placed stands and planted 4 well placed food plots that let bucks move through the 20 from plot to plot checking scrapes and for does without being seen.
This Fox buck stayed on his normal pattern it seemed.
For four mornings in a row he would check the same scrape at the same times. 6:25-6:30am he was a show.
Well he was late. At 6:30-6:35am he was there, he stalled around tearing my rope scrapes apart before deciding to go up a hill and I grunted at him with my mouth and he froze. He put his head down and I grunted at him again and he was on his way. I grunted at him to stop him, and let the rage do its job. I waited a while do to the angle of the shot. I tracked him for sometime bleeding, and bleeding. Tough animals.
We lost blood what seemed like half a day but for a hour we had lost blood. I decided to make a big loop and not to far away there laying on a trail was the fox.
Not a high scoring deer but I am mostly about age.
Now I am looking forward to shotgun hunting the 20 and heres the buck I will be chasing.
I will only show half! :)
I also want to thank members on here and theres quite a few, on stand placement, mock rubs, and ropes. And how to get to stands easy, quiet and the smartest ways. And Paul Knox on plot placement and the goodies to offer them.
Even with 20 acres it can be hard.
Thanks again guys and good luck hunting!!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Congrats!!! I've got a 10acre farm that I've managed to shoot 2 mid 140's out of. It is a huge accomplishment.

Congrats again Bill. Unreal to me how productive that slice of habitat has been for you, amazing.

Way to go Billy Bones! I love the brows on that old joker! Great trail cam shots too, congrats buddy!

Love it, Bill! Absolutely love it! I couldn't be happier for you! So much for picking up any more sheds off that old dog. :D That's ok though because I'm sure you'll more than make up for it north of the border next spring! Congrats again, buddy!

-Longspurs-

Bill, that's a great Deer ( I really mean that!). Very unique rack and very pretty cape and great accomplishment in the style of hunting. There are some smaller acreage that I hunt, aswell, and it can be a challenge to hunt them. What were some of the tactics that helped you be successful?

I had a few tactics Marc.
This season I focused on getting to the stand as quiet and being unnoticeable. Trimming my own paths and even moving a few leaves to keep the noise down. Going a little out of my way to get to my stands than walking on deer trails or through foodplots.
I have a lot of ropes hung. I put more up in August and theres quite a few. The bucks are really using them and they all lead by a stand.
That is what the fox buck got used to doin. He would eat corn all night and clover come into the 20 and start checking scrapes.
I have one other buck doing the same but not as often as fox. Older and wiser.
The 20 is a hotel for does, always has been not really a bedding area for bucks, but when things heat up, you see them quite often.
I will still call it the 20 but I just purchased a 20 that borders the 20. It should be a great little addition.
Good Luck Marc!

I had a few tactics Marc.
This season I focused on getting to the stand as quiet and being unnoticeable. Trimming my own paths and even moving a few leaves to keep the noise down. Going a little out of my way to get to my stands than walking on deer trails or through foodplots.
I have a lot of ropes hung. I put more up in August and theres quite a few. The bucks are really using them and they all lead by a stand.
That is what the fox buck got used to doin. He would eat corn all night and clover come into the 20 and start checking scrapes.
I have one other buck doing the same but not as often as fox. Older and wiser.
The 20 is a hotel for does, always has been not really a bedding area for bucks, but when things heat up, you see them quite often.
I will still call it the 20 but I just purchased a 20 that borders the 20. It should be a great little addition.
Good Luck Marc!

Great, thanks Bill :) a few Does bed on these very small acreages ,aswell, but it's really easy to disturb the ground. What do you use the ropes for? Are they like a temporary fence that keeps them on the trail towards your stand? or are they for something else?

Marc, I zip tie twine string to low hanging branches over soon to be scrapes in August, although I have been putting more out lately.
Some are 10 ft apart but most lead past a stand. They work awesome for better pictures. I don't know what it is about the twine string but they bite it, lick it, and wrip it out of the trees. Its crazy I have about 15 of these in the 20.
Heres a few buck pictures from this season.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
^ Sweet, Bill, I've spoken to others who do this, as well but didn't know for sure if that was what you were using the ropes for originally.

Question: Are you going to mount this Deer, Bill? Personally think that you should if the finances are okay for you, but that's obviously your call. I think it would be a great momento it starting off the management of this ground. He has a really pretty cape, and unique enough rack that I would mount the deer.

Marc, my brother n law has a small business boiling heads. 'Wicked Matty's Dead Heads'. I would have gotten him mounted but I have 4, 8ptrs mounted allready. Theres a few bigger than him running around.
Matts going to do a Euro Mount with him. He is going to use his sheds as a Hanger for the wall. Should be pretty cool.

Top Bottom