Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

The "orange army"

I started hunting as part of the "Orange Army". From there developed a love to hunt. Was tagging along with Dad and Grandpa gun hunting since I was 12 years old. I still enjoy to gun hunt with the family group.
As a bow hunter, Am not a huge fan of how some people shoot everything during the gun season. I think its a shame. But is probably necessary to manage numbers.

I go a weekend a year with my dad, mostly to enjoy the time with him. He hunts with a gun, I still take my bow. We're both happy. Definitely missed some opportunities on some good bucks because of it, but I don't care.

Like said early, a few bad people give the rest a bad name and yes that goes for bow hunters also. Like the gun hunters or not, they're making the deer pop better and heathier. I just sit in the blind anymore like the others I use to hunt with, but I think the gun hunters help the deer for the trophy hunters? Nothing wrong with taking a few bucks and doe for meat which most of them are. My brother is one of them and like I told him you need to take a few bucks out along with some doe to have a balanced deer herd. Good look to all the hunters no matter what type of method you use to kill a deer.

Are big deer drives still happening in your area? They have pretty much stopped here as land ownership has shifted to “small” recreational parcel owners. You can’t push a mile of river bottom now like you used to. The groups of 25 guys have disbanded. My guess is that around here, most shotgun is stand hunting.

That said, one group does push a neighboring property, family tradition. I’ve used their drives to my benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too many “the deer and land are all mine “ attitudes anymore . Access dwindles every year unless you own or you have family that owns land . Being part of the orange army was some of my best memories as a kid and still try to participate in it - but too many parcels are gone the way side and it’s hard to hunt them as we used too .

Reactions: OMB
Lol. The land you own is yours. Commies don't believe in private property. Don't be one of them.

I'm excited for our shotgun opener this Friday. My dad and I will carefully walk to our stands and remain at them until it's time to walk out. Hate pushing deer to others.

Who owns the small rec parcels?? In my area it’s residents and outfitters. Gonna be interesting in my block this year as an outfitter just took over 1000 ac that a family group drove every weekend of both gun seasons. Need some popcorn

Too many “the deer and land are all mine “ attitudes anymore . Access dwindles every year unless you own or you have family that owns land . Being part of the orange army was some of my best memories as a kid and still try to participate in it - but too many parcels are gone the way side and it’s hard to hunt them as we used too .

Please purchase a large property, pay property taxes on it, face liability issues, and open it to public hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Years ago, the riverbottoms were smothered in orange.
I don't think I seen 25 hunters this year. Lots of deer,nobody hunting.

Please purchase a large property, pay property taxes on it, face liability issues, and open it to public hunting.
You forgot to add: Pay for habitat improvements/food plots and chainsaws, etc, for timber maintenance. Also, if:
1. Row cropping it - then pay for fertilizer, seed, harvest, storage, etc, etc, etc.
or
2. CRP - mid contract management, spraying as necessary, etc, etc, etc.

My problem with the orange army that hunts by our property is that they are bigtime violators. A lot of chasing deer with trucks and shooting from vehicles. Also not thrilled that they drink all day while hunting either. There are some other groups around that I have no problem with. Problem with calling them in is they are our farming neighbors and we occasionally need help from one another. Not worth making enemies out of them. Hopefully sometime the older members will quit and the group will disband.

but I think the gun hunters help the deer for the trophy hunters?

Around "here" (Central MO), most gun hunters are now "trophy hunters". Which means they hold out and shoot every good 2 year old (with great future potential) and every 3 year old that passes by. I'd rather they just go back to shooting the first deer they see..

Lee Lakosky talks about this in his book, seems to do more harm than good shooting everything with decent genetics. Meanwhile happy to boast they passed on a lesser 2 year old, justifying their trophy hunting status.. :rolleyes:

A lot of chasing deer with trucks and shooting from vehicles. Also not thrilled that they drink all day while hunting either.
Well I don't see what could go wrong there?!
Idiots like that need to be stopped. Possibly make it well known you are leaving the area for the day and have someone else bird dog them and call it in. I don't know, but I'd find a way to end that yesterday.

Well I don't see what could go wrong there?!
Idiots like that need to be stopped. Possibly make it well known you are leaving the area for the day and have someone else bird dog them and call it in. I don't know, but I'd find a way to end that yesterday.

Yep, I'd be calling right then and there.

Well the land certainly belongs to someone. Whoever that someone is paid for the right to call the shots. That should be respected.

Top Bottom