Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Thermal and IR Coyote Hunting.

CurtisWalker

After getting the addiction of hunting coyotes at night with a full moon and snow. I have ventured into calling at night with thermal optics. My buddies seem to have great success doing it hopefully they can share some harvests in this thread as well because they definitely know more than I do but I’m out here trying. Feel free to share harvests and calling sequences that have been working for you. 26AA0AF8-F7FE-4E09-9F1D-2B76B3D198DF.jpeg

This will be a good thread that I hope to contribute to in a Big way as soon as deer season is over. Got the Pulsar Helion XP50 and the Sitemark Wraith both ready to roll.

Only Good Coyote is a Dead Coyote.

I've been thinking about getting into that also Curtis, looks like it could be a blast. I'm seeing more coyotes than ever this year. Hope to see some dead ones posted.

There are several people getting into this in my area. I wonder how many generations of coyotes it will take before their vulnerability at night is gone?
I'm not the one you should ask technical questions about thermals to but I've used them on coyotes before and they make things a lot easier for now.

My CO said an infrared system is not legal because it still casts a beam - even if we can't see it. Thermals are good to go.
I like the Wraith system, great price,, but it's IR.

Calling coyotes is one of my favorite hobbies.
I'm sure I'm missing out Big Time. Have not gone that route yet.

A person may use an infrared light source to GENERAL REGULATIONS 17 GENERAL REGULATIONS } Private Property Private Property Highway or Right-of-Way Fence Fence Ditch Ditch Roadway (includes shoulder) { hunt coyotes as long as the infrared light source is mounted to the method of take or to a scope mounted on the method of take. HOWEVER, no person shall use an infrared light source to hunt coyotes during any established muzzleloader, bow, or shotgun deer hunting season.

It had been illegal for so long that I didn't check the regs for this year. So, if I read this correctly...January when all of the seasons are done - I can use IR?

Yes starting
A person may use an infrared light source to GENERAL REGULATIONS 17 GENERAL REGULATIONS } Private Property Private Property Highway or Right-of-Way Fence Fence Ditch Ditch Roadway (includes shoulder) { hunt coyotes as long as the infrared light source is mounted to the method of take or to a scope mounted on the method of take. HOWEVER, no person shall use an infrared light source to hunt coyotes during any established muzzleloader, bow, or shotgun deer hunting season.

It had been illegal for so long that I didn't check the regs for this year. So, if I read this correctly...January when all of the seasons are done - I can use IR?
Yes starting jan 11 you can use IR up until the start of subsequent deer season.

Im ready to go, just need to put the ir light back on!!
08d235d22199b7f4bbd761ccce9b353a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Between the two, which do you prefer and why? I know very little about both actually, but could extend the shooting times with the help of one or the other.

Between the two, which do you prefer and why? I know very little about both actually, but could extend the shooting times with the help of one or the other.
So I will be running both (will explain). This has evolved over the years of mostly my buddies who have gotten extremely effective at this and my little bit of experience. With the law change this will be my first year with the setup. Before I just went with them when they were around as they had all the thermal gear.

So I have thermal handheld monocular. This is strictly for locating heat signatures. You can sit almost completely still and constantly be scanning. Before we had handhelds we had to be on the guns nonstop which is a lot of movement and quite frankly wears a guy out. Once a critter is located with the handheld, you go to the gun point in the correct direction. My buddies have thermals on their scope. I went with IR. IR is less expensive and identification if far more advanced. My IR light illuminates up to 2,500 yards. I can ID critters at much farther distances than my buddies (deer, raccoon, yote, etc). The thermal outperforms in the timber or other heavy cover as the IR gets a lot of bounceback reflection. Also, you have to make sure your IR light and scope are lined up. With thermal, this is a non issue.

The other obvious difference is that you can use Thermal year round. IR is outlawed during deer season.

A tripod with a reaper grip or Bog death grip is an absolute must for the gun IMO.

Last edited:
Plan on $700 to get into a good IR scope with an upgraded IR light. Thermal.... ya $3k+
I have around 800 in scope n light.. i plan on using the factory light it comes with, as ive tested out back and can see close to 200 yds into the timber, really clear/sharp image also! Im not opposed to upgrading my light but want to try this one first..
I have friends that have thermal, from what they tell me, seeing the heat signatures from game is fairly easy, but making out exacly what it is becomes the harder part as image quality is far less than IR..

You might want to open that window first. ;)
Lol, i had it open until my wife felt the cold air and busted me..
I was just testing the deathgrip tripod out for the first time, n i like it so far!! Haven't had it in the field yet, 5 more days, or i mean nights!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom