Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

They were gobbling this morning

Old Buck

Life Member
Got up early to do some photography this morning and was surprised to hear a fair amount of gobbling at dawn. Seemed awful cold. This afternoon a gobbler and 15 hens came through a food plot. Two of the hens had beards.

They start this early? You mean it's breading season already? But the calender says Feb.6?

On more than one occasion I've heard toms gobbling during first shotgun deer season. I've seen alot of rooster pheasants out showing their colors the past 2 mornings, so I'm not terribly surprised to hear turkeys were gobbling. Seems like after the first of the year any warm spell will bring out a few birds warming up their voices.

Old Buck...2 bearded hens?? Cool! Get any pictures of them?

NWBuck

I have a friend who shot a bearded hen by accident for a gobbler. When he cleaned it she had an egg in her. We now refer to him as the Mass Murderer, gives us all a good chuckle now and then, especially at the NWTF meetings and banquets.

Steve

NW Buck, Would you believe I had my camera with me and didn't get any shots? One of the hens was a young bird, a Jennie? Is that the female turkey equivelant of Jake?

Breeding? I really doubt it. I was surprised that the gobbler wasn't still with a bachelor group though.

If I was a turkey and I woke up at 5:30 AM and it was 10-15 degrees with frost all over me I would gobble my head off just to warm up and make sure I was still alive
smile.gif

Just me,

Top Bottom