Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Third season tom

LoessHillsArcher

PMA Member
Went out Saturday morning with Russ really thinking we’d double up on birds. Haven’t been seeing birds like we have in the past. It’s been really weird. We know they’re around just thinking the cold spring has them off yet. Anyway, russ and I didn’t get anything close and around 7:30 headed back to the truck, he had to run home and feed cows and “do his other business” so I said I’d go spot some birds for us.

I drove around and wasn’t seeing much at all but finally spotted two in a field and they were walking pretty quickly into the timber... then I saw them take flight. Weird? I figured I’d go sneak around and see if I could see them yet since it was an easy walk. Got to about 300yds from where I saw them and was shocked to see them sitting in a tree top along the field edge?! It was 8am?

Anyway, I called russ and said I’ve got our birds tied up, you want to come over and stalk in on these? He hadn’t finished “his business” yet and said you go alone. So I did, crawled a few yds further and the birds we starting to go into half strut in the tree. Crawled a few more yards and they flew down. Strutted and trotted all the way right to me. At 10yds on a dead run at me I took the first shot and both birds jumped up and seemed unphased. Pumped another shell in and dropped the back, slower bird at 20yds. Pretty sure he caught a few bbs on the first shot.

An average bird, 20.5#s, 10.5” beard and 15/16” spurs. NWTF score of 60.25. Hopefully 4th season I can kill a limb hanger. Shot lots of toms over the years but all seem to be about this size... still fun to chase!

cda14812a8215abe683cbad9b7868a6a.jpg

Got a one month old son at home now and hoping to get a picture each spring of us together with a turkey for as long as we can.

5420839e4aca201320954ebc771f0452.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats man, good idea getting the kiddo in the picture.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom