Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Thoughts on crossbows

203ntyp

PMA Member
I've ben shooting bows, traditional and compound, since 1969 and was always against the legalization of crossbows when they hit the market with the exception of any disabilities.

Long story short I really did my shoulder in about 8 weeks ago lifting a vintage drill press that is very heavy. The doctor put me on prednisone for a week which did seem to help but it's been very painful since then depending on what direction I lift my arm. Hopefully I won't need surgery but wondering if I'll ever be able to pull a bow back anymore. I guess shoveling snow hasn't helped either :oops:

I started looking at crossbows just in case and was checking out the TenPoint Siege. Very compact, fast and great safety features, price is a little shocking though. Does anyone have any experience or recommendation's with crossbows?

I have a mission mxb320. I've had it about 5 years but have only hunted with it about 6 times in all those years. I find them clumsy and awkward in a stand. They are much better in a shooting house. In a shooting house, I would highly recommend a stand where you can place the crossbow hands free. I don't have much to add other than that. It will probably take you some adjustments to get used to hunting with it. Good luck!

Awesome example of where & why we have crossbow exceptions. Hope u find a great combo. I bought one for my nephew who is disabled. He got it dialed in very fast. I’ll let other guys chime in as I’m not sure which is good. If they are like bow makers- lot of good quality & brand options.

I was forced to use a crossbow after I fell on the ice and destroyed my shoulder. I have used the Ravin 29 the last 2 seasons and I cannot wait until I can shoot a compound again this fall. And that’s with a top of the line crossbow. Hard to shoot offhand and clunky. If you have a rest and time to take the shot, very deadly out to 80 yards. The newest Ravin even has an electric cocking system. It’s great for folks that are really disabled

So the goblin crossbow sells for way less than the heavy crossbow, is there a reason I am unaware of it, seems like the goblin one is better with the pushback, Something I am not seeing Under 100?

Last edited:
I've ben shooting bows, traditional and compound, since 1969 and was always against the legalization of crossbows when they hit the market with the exception of any disabilities.

Long story short I really did my shoulder in about 8 weeks ago lifting a vintage drill press that is very heavy. The doctor put me on prednisone for a week which did seem to help but it's been very painful since then depending on what direction I lift my arm. Hopefully I won't need surgery but wondering if I'll ever be able to pull a bow back anymore. I guess shoveling snow hasn't helped either :oops:

I started looking at crossbows just in case and was checking out the TenPoint Siege. Very compact, fast and great safety features, price is a little shocking though. Does anyone have any experience or recommendation's with crossbows?
With your injury description, if you rest enough now to allow your body to heal, and then build your strength and mobility back after that, you'll be shooting your bow again next season, no problem.

I tore my MCL in my knee mid summer and couldn't walk for a few days. 3 weeks later, I started my personal rehab. 10 weeks later and I was squatting and deadlifting at my normal weight again. It still pains me from time to time, but I'm getting old where more and more hurts anyway, no matter what I do.

Top Bottom