Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Thoughts on my new farm?

lazy_turtle

Hello everyone,

Just bought 91 acres in MO (kick me out if not allowed haha). Just wanted to get some thoughts on creating a plan on it!

image_6487327.JPG

Heres a drone video: https://streamable.com/cl72qo

Here's whats the "open" areas that are in red look like (I can't decide if I want to clear them out for plots or not):

IMG_4651.jpg

cedars.jpeg

Terrible, I will buy it... your welcome ;) but seriously, first glance it looks great and I am super jealous! The other guys will have a lot better input, but I will add some input after I get to look at it a little closer

Yes you want plots. All of the small and half to all of the big one. Looks like a great set up.with diversity.

Congrats on your purchase. Now the real fun begins.

Start with soil tests, get some help or pay to have some of the open areas burned for food plots.

What county you in?

That first pic looks like solid scericea lesdedeza!!! Kill it and keep after it!! Food plots and herbicide will kill it.

I was wondering what that stuff was! Here is a closer up pic of it, but it's a little blurry. What do ya'll think?

I was hesitant to kill off these areas cause they look awesome, but if it's sericea then it has to go!

unnamed.jpeg

Congrats on your purchase. Now the real fun begins.

Start with soil tests, get some help or pay to have some of the open areas burned for food plots.

What county you in?

Got the soil sample results coming in early next week. Do ya'll think I should remove those cedars from the open areas or leave them? Visually, they look really cool (about 20 -25 ft tall), but didn't know if they'd be an issue.

If I could have any habitat combination for deer it would be a mix of cedars and grasses. And throw in some shrubs. That would be amazing.

Oh no! How would you recommend getting rid of it? I was considering doing RR beans in some of this area. Would that be a good approach?
Some other guys on here may have a better approach but I have the same issue on a 30 acre area on my farm. I was told to run some beans through it for a year or two and it should take care of it. So if you plan to do the same, I would think you should be good.

Opinions on cedars varies, I am not sure there is a right answer on that in my mind. But I would definitely remove cedars from a food plot...in almost all cases I would remove ALL trees from food plots AND also the bigger trees, provided they aren't desirable species that is, next to food plots. They really draw a lot of moisture and nutrients and can overshade areas where you want good sunshine.

Now then, I have left a couple "strategic" trees in plot areas that just so happen to drop acorns and/or provide a KILLER setup that I will trade for the other tree problems that I mentioned above. Cedars...take them out I say...unless a ladder stand tucked into one provides you with a great hunting setup.

Opinions on cedars varies, I am not sure there is a right answer on that in my mind. But I would definitely remove cedars from a food plot...in almost all cases I would remove ALL trees from food plots AND also the bigger trees, provided they aren't desirable species that is, next to food plots. They really draw a lot of moisture and nutrients and can overshade areas where you want good sunshine.

Now then, I have left a couple "strategic" trees in plot areas that just so happen to drop acorns and/or provide a KILLER setup that I will trade for the other tree problems that I mentioned above. Cedars...take them out I say...unless a ladder stand tucked into one provides you with a great hunting setup.
Love your point about hunting out of one if it sets up well. The handful of times I’ve done it it seems like you could do jumping jacks in your stand and get away with it with deer in front of you. The best concealment there is if it sets up well. Would definitely consider it op

Wow nice ground. Some bedding areas out of the wind, and corn .Lot of farmers have left over seed after planting doesn’t have to go in super early for food plots. Probably clean off some cedar on your hidden ridge and corn it leave some standing for cover .

Some other guys on here may have a better approach but I have the same issue on a 30 acre area on my farm. I was told to run some beans through it for a year or two and it should take care of it. So if you plan to do the same, I would think you should be good.
The seed can lay dormant for a LONG time. It'll be a battle for years to eradicate every single plant that will come up. The RR beans are going to do wonders.

I have that crap popping up here and there any place I kill the fescue sod off. Have two new "hot spots" to nuke this coming year.

The seed can lay dormant for a LONG time. It'll be a battle for years to eradicate every single plant that will come up. The RR beans are going to do wonders.

I have that crap popping up here and there any place I kill the fescue sod off. Have two new "hot spots" to nuke this coming year.
Sucks to hear that, but I can't say I'm surprised that it's a pain to get rid of for good etiher.

Top Bottom