Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Timber stand bedding

Hickory $440
cherry $500
red oak $614
soft maple $690
white oak $1260
Maybe I should take better care of my maples!

I prioritize my trees as follows (My property is in west central Illinois and timber value really isn't a consideration for me.) High value to Low value: White Oak, Swamp White Oak, Bur Oak, Persimmon, Pin Oak, Mulberry, Red Oak, Black Oak, Cherry, Shingle Oak, Hedge, Sycamore, Elm, Hickory, Ash, Silver Maple, Honey Locust. Some of this list is skewed by considerations specific to my property and how much I despise silver maple. Walnut would be near the top of my list if I actually had any that were decent. Mature trees are somewhat "overrated" for their contribution to deer habitat, so open up that canopy allow allow regrowth, shrubs, and herbaceous growth to provide food and cover within reach. If managing for turkeys, make sure they have flight paths to roosting trees and some open areas for brooding. If you don't have invasives consider yourself lucky and stay on guard, as they will find your place eventually.

I have no need or interest in selling my timber. I do have interest in the deer. I rarely hunt my property but will if I get a good buck hanging around. I only have 43 acres. I have a small clover plot and and a dozen fullsize Goldrush and Enterprise apple
trees and three pear trees that are just starting to produce. The property is in the snow belt here and I’ve planted about a
thousand Norway spruce trees divided between five different spots. I got in the forest program to cut my taxes. I cull lots of trees. Clearcutting 6 or 7 acres would be the best. When I saw the recommendation for cutting down bitternut hickories I searched bitternut on this forum and found the statement that shagbark hickory had lumber value but bitternut had none and unsually don‘t live 50 years. Bitternut and shagbark are both graded as pecan. I believe all the trees in the pictures I sent would be over 50 years old. Some probably closer to 100. Bitternut is considered the hardiest of the hickories. If I went by timber values from spring timber sales in my area I would be cutting down all the hickory,cherry ,and red oaks on my property in favor of the maples. If I ever buy 600 acres in Pike County I would cut down all the Black walnut trees because they are slow growing and deer don’t eat the nuts. If I buy 600 acres for fun Black walnut trees mean nothing to me! I realize now that my defense of the hickory puts me at the bottom of the pile! But the statement of zero lumber value and short lived was what surprised me. Cutting them down to help the deer doesn’t bother me at all!

Thick trash, bucks love THICK trash!
Do what ya gotta do.
Hinge cut some small areas up 5', not low.
Deer,bucks in general like the thick canopy feel.
Gotta say though, I've not had great luck hinge cutting oaks.

I have no need or interest in selling my timber. I do have interest in the deer. I rarely hunt my property but will if I get a good buck hanging around. I only have 43 acres. I have a small clover plot and and a dozen fullsize Goldrush and Enterprise apple
trees and three pear trees that are just starting to produce. The property is in the snow belt here and I’ve planted about a
thousand Norway spruce trees divided between five different spots. I got in the forest program to cut my taxes. I cull lots of trees. Clearcutting 6 or 7 acres would be the best. When I saw the recommendation for cutting down bitternut hickories I searched bitternut on this forum and found the statement that shagbark hickory had lumber value but bitternut had none and unsually don‘t live 50 years. Bitternut and shagbark are both graded as pecan. I believe all the trees in the pictures I sent would be over 50 years old. Some probably closer to 100. Bitternut is considered the hardiest of the hickories. If I went by timber values from spring timber sales in my area I would be cutting down all the hickory,cherry ,and red oaks on my property in favor of the maples. If I ever buy 600 acres in Pike County I would cut down all the Black walnut trees because they are slow growing and deer don’t eat the nuts. If I buy 600 acres for fun Black walnut trees mean nothing to me! I realize now that my defense of the hickory puts me at the bottom of the pile! But the statement of zero lumber value and short lived was what surprised me. Cutting them down to help the deer doesn’t bother me at all!
U don’t need to “cut all of anything”. Walnut, hickory, whatever. A starting point that almost any situation or preference will allow for is this simple:
Thin the stand. If it’s “all maple” or all “hickory” or XYZ…. Just start by thinning the poorly formed trees. Whatever they are. Thin the inferior & leave the better trees. Open the canopy up for the floor to get sun. Start there. There’s no downside in thinning an overstocked forest. Which 99% are. Take the crap formed trees out year 1 & that’s a great starting point.

Deer will eat shagbark nuts. I’ve never heard of or seen them eat bitternut. If you can sell old bitternut trees for a high price, I’d sure be considering that. Will help deer situation. Same with maple or anything for that matter. There’s no big straight mature tree that has “no value”. At a barebones minimum, $.08 a board foot on pallet wood is the absolute bottom (which adds up with big trees like cottonwood). Maple on the other hand can be .75 cents +++ depending on market. If you don’t want to or don’t need the $ - that’s different but logging some “when needed” will be better for Whitetail - if that aligns with your goals.

Last edited:
Exactly as @Sligh1 said it almost every timber stand is overcrowded getting rid of the poor formed trees is an awesome place to start to find a good mix in timber resale and also habitat since it will allow sun to the floor. I can't wait to get going on my next timber stand improvement project cause I know long term timber sales will be better and the short term habitat will be way better.

Top Bottom