Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Timber Stand Improvment

Garlon is best as it does translocate as bad as tordon. But- done right- any are fine. Just use common sense & it’s a non issue. Go to any farm store or coop. Tordon RTU (ready to use) is on shelf. Might cut it again & put in cut. Or use Gly & lil diesel &/2,4-d Which is at any farm or even hardware store. All are readily available all over. If u wanted go online- go to forestry suppliers. But- ur local farm store should have stuff.
Is Triclopyr 4 the same as Garlon 4? It sells as a replacement but is much cheaper. Didn't know if that is an alternative, or a waste of money when trying to kill things like MFR, buckbrush, etc in my timber. Tractor Supply doesn't carry it but will order it. Didn't see it at Fleet Farm (then again, could have missed it as that place is ginormous). Sorry for the dumb questions as I'm new at this, but want to do things right.

I bet it is. Garlon is triclopyr with 2,4-d I think. Pretty sure. Google name with “label” & read ingredients & will tell u right away which is which. Older herbicides almost always have way cheaper generics. Good way to go for sure. If either has triclopyr & 2,4-d - gonna be good.

I bet it is. Garlon is triclopyr with 2,4-d I think. Pretty sure. Google name with “label” & read ingredients & will tell u right away which is which. Older herbicides almost always have way cheaper generics. Good way to go for sure. If either has triclopyr & 2,4-d - gonna be good.

Thanks. Looked the same but wanted to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't wait to get back in the woods! It'll be another couple weeks before I can get back to the farm. Need to finish the fire break around the area TSI'd last year only have about 300ft to go. Been cutting the stumps left behind at ground level and retreating with tordon Not sure if we'll get a chance to burn it this spring or not. trails, funnels, bunny piles and a stuttin pad right in the middle!

Attachments

• Break1.jpg
    Break1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 255
  • Break2.jpg
    Break2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 274
  • Woods Plot.jpg
    Woods Plot.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 292
Crazy how fast the deer have hit those and started bedding there.

THIS!!!^^^^^
Well done!!!! Tons of browse, tons of cover, deer can walk through, crop trees can flourish. That is one incredible job, well done!!!!

I would love to create screening in my timber of the property to my north. Something that creates a visual barrier and to keep any "wandering" over onto my place at a minimum. There is no fence. All the timber is the same (blends together) and is very thick. Tons of hickory. It needs thinned and I'm working on TSI starting now. Would hinge cuttings parallel to the property line just on my side work? Wasn't sure if doing that would really just open it up and make it worse or if opening it up would create new growth that would create somewhat of a screen/barrier. Just curious if anyone had done that. There is also an old 4 wheeler trail that goes from my place to theirs that I need to close off.

I would love to create screening in my timber of the property to my north. Something that creates a visual barrier and to keep any "wandering" over onto my place at a minimum. There is no fence. All the timber is the same (blends together) and is very thick. Tons of hickory. It needs thinned and I'm working on TSI starting now. Would hinge cuttings parallel to the property line just on my side work? Wasn't sure if doing that would really just open it up and make it worse or if opening it up would create new growth that would create somewhat of a screen/barrier. Just curious if anyone had done that. There is also an old 4 wheeler trail that goes from my place to theirs that I need to close off.
YES

Got some crop trees marked today and cut a few cull trees until I lost a bar nut and my chain came off. Yes, I got spares on the way home. I have very few white oaks. Is this a white oak? Looks like one. I have burr oaks in this same valley but this one is different, whiter bark and straight. Has rounded lobe leaves too. Super excited if it is as the other whites are small.
53ef97208a50432cf3b3366129622b6a.jpg
42e94b268025e6126ea1583bd8b7f6fe.jpg

Got some crop trees marked today and cut a few cull trees until I lost a bar nut and my chain came off. Yes, I got spares on the way home. I have very few white oaks. Is this a white oak? Looks like one. I have burr oaks in this same valley but this one is different, whiter bark and straight. Has rounded lobe leaves too. Super excited if it is as the other whites are small.
53ef97208a50432cf3b3366129622b6a.jpg
42e94b268025e6126ea1583bd8b7f6fe.jpg

Yes

Thanks. I'm new at this so wanted to confirm. My confidence in tree id is getting better though. Went through my timber Saturday an found other white oaks and some walnut. Have a hard time with walnut and bitternut hickory. Noticed some bright yellow buds on the hickory that was telltale of what they were and found some walnut too by the bark scrape test. This stuff has been super fun. Been teaching even my dad (science teacher) about tree id on some species. Love this thread.

I usually look at pignut and bitternut as the same tree. And I cut them down. I look at all trees as hybrids. Seems like it would be difficult to have any pure strains unless they are isolated. I wouldn't overlook red oaks either. For whatever reason last year the deer hit the red oaks first even when the white oaks were dropping where I'm at. I've cut down most honey locust but have left a few as they draw deer late winter with their pods. Post rut bucks.

I'll be hinging and killing a ton of bitternut hickory as I'm almost overrun by hickory in general. Definitely need to thin them out. I'll leave some, but trying to open up the canopy and floor for new growth and better growth. I just need to get really good at identification. Seems BN has a more "branchy" canopy than walnut. If I can't figure it out this winter on some, I'm going to wait until spring/summer and mark them when I can see leaves. Then back at it next winter.

Red oaks = pointy leaves, like a red man's arrows.
White oaks = rounded leaves, like a white man's bullets.

But PLEASE do not share this with anyone, particularly "woke" millenials, lest they get offended via some contorted racial interpretation. :) :)

I'll be hinging and killing a ton of bitternut hickory as I'm almost overrun by hickory in general. Definitely need to thin them out. I'll leave some, but trying to open up the canopy and floor for new growth and better growth. I just need to get really good at identification. Seems BN has a more "branchy" canopy than walnut. If I can't figure it out this winter on some, I'm going to wait until spring/summer and mark them when I can see leaves. Then back at it next winter.

FWIW, I have a fair amount of bitternut hickory too, in at least one area on my farm. A local guy that burns wood to heat his buildings has always been glad to get his hands on them when I have dropped them. So when I have identified them to be removed I then coordinate with him and sometimes I drop them and he then cleans them up and uses the firewood and other times he drops them himself and takes care of everything. At any rate, the waste trees then are being used.

If you have anyone living near your place that burns wood, this could be a win-win strategy for you...as people that get free firewood from your place are then generally inclined to "keep an eye on" things for you too.

FWIW, I have a fair amount of bitternut hickory too, in at least one area on my farm. A local guy that burns wood to heat his buildings has always been glad to get his hands on them when I have dropped them. So when I have identified them to be removed I then coordinate with him and sometimes I drop them and he then cleans them up and uses the firewood and other times he drops them himself and takes care of everything. At any rate, the waste trees then are being used.

If you have anyone living near your place that burns wood, this could be a win-win strategy for you...as people that get free firewood from your place are then generally inclined to "keep an eye on" things for you too.
Great point and idea. I have a guy that owns the farm west of me that lives next door. I haven't met him, but definately could offer him a bunch of firewood. I have a smoker and love to use hickory, but would never need that much. LOL

Top Bottom