Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Timber Stand Improvment

One of about 9,000,000 locust I have to treat. Going to be a couple year process cuz I see baby trees all over too. I'll get em all eventually.
34f8614691842170655906a69266ee95.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Further research has led me to the fact that Tordon (Picloram & 2,4-d) is not the best chemical for locust. I will be switching to triclopyr (Remedy or Garlon) going forward. triclopyr is labeled for locust where as Tordon is not and re-sprouting may occur if I keep using tordon.

Last edited:
I broadcast sprayed my crp last year (ridden with sericia lespedeeza) with remedy. I had a pretty decent south wind and it SMOKED a little finger of honey locusts that jutted out from the main draw. Efficient stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Further research has led me to the fact that Tordon (Picloram & 2,4-d) is not the best chemical for locust. I will be switching to triclopyr (Remedy or Garlon) going forward. triclopyr is labeled for locust where as Tordon is not and re-sprouting may occur if I keep using tordon.
What form of Tordon are you using?

• Deleted by goatman
  • Reason: double
Show…
What form of Tordon are you using? I never could figure out hack and squirt could be 100%. We are coming up on the month of August which is a great month to kill locust as it starts to draw sap down before other trees.
Tordon RTU via hack and squirt. The trees appear to be dying, quickly. However, everything I've since researched indicates there will likely be a problem with new sprouts.

This is one of the better articles I found: https://mdc.mo.gov/trees-plants/problem-plant-control/nuisance-native-plants/black-locust-control

Also, Tordon is not labeled to control Locust. Garlon and Remedy are.

I figure if I am putting in all the work, I want to do it with the herbicide that gives me the best shot of knocking it out.... the first time.

Also looks like Garlon/remedy are less susceptible to spreading and killing non-target species.

Last edited:
Tordon RTU is not labeled for locust but still will hammer black and honey locust. Tordon 22K is labeled for locust and like Tordon K is a restricted use pesticide. Different chemical makeup. I went back and looked at your pics and you need to make cuts on all sides which would be a pain. If you have a jungle of black locust you could do great things with Tordon 22K used as a low pressure leaf spray. Like in a backpack or atv sprayer. Also add a spreader. We use to use a silicone based spreader that pushed the chemical over the edge of the leaf to the underside which is where it would work even better. Do not use diesel or something else that would burn the leaves and not take up the tordon. Garlon maybe fine but it and tordon 22k are more commercial type brush killers. You'll will still do a lot killing coming up on this August with tordon rtu. Tordon K and Tordon 22k are exactly the same only named different. Tordon K use to only available to right-of-way businesses. Glad they renamed it so individuals could use it now. Tordon products are grass friendly. You can smoke a big locust just by getting some over spray of Tordon K on the ground.

Tordon RTU is not labeled for locust but still will hammer black and honey locust. Tordon 22K is labeled for locust and like Tordon K is a restricted use pesticide. Different chemical makeup. I went back and looked at your pics and you need to make cuts on all sides which would be a pain. If you have a jungle of black locust you could do great things with Tordon 22K used as a low pressure leaf spray. Like in a backpack or atv sprayer. Also add a spreader. We use to use a silicone based spreader that pushed the chemical over the edge of the leaf to the underside which is where it would work even better. Do not use diesel or something else that would burn the leaves and not take up the tordon. Garlon maybe fine but it and tordon 22k are more commercial type brush killers. You'll will still do a lot killing coming up on this August with tordon rtu. Tordon K and Tordon 22k are exactly the same only named different. Tordon K use to only available to right-of-way businesses. Glad they renamed it so individuals could use it now. Tordon products are grass friendly. You can smoke a big locust just by getting some over spray of Tordon K on the ground.
Hmmm lots of publications, including the one i linked point to failed sprayings with tordon. (Tree you spray is deader than dead but then you have more shoots). Have you seen that?

Trees I hack and squirt are def almost dead already.

I was going to go to remedy and diesel fuel basal bark application with a backpack sprayer. I am not real interested in doing foliar spray because I have little oak trees all over.

Thoughts?

Looks good to me. We did some basal bark spraying in the winter time with garlon and a oil. Just make sure the bark is dry. The proof is always in the following year. Many times especially with crossbow herbicide you think that you smoked the tree or bush and it starts to leaf out at the base next year. I have not seen sprouts from a girdled tree with tordon rtu or a foliar sprayed locust with tordon k. But I mostly kill honey locust. I also leave a big honey locust here and there because bucks run down from rut will eat the pods when it gets cold. Does clean them up also. Forgot to add. If anyone wants to use Tordon RTU buy Pathway herbicide. It comes in 2 1/2 gal jugs and is the same product. Don't know why they did that. It is cheaper. Get you a Solo 1 qt or bigger hand sprayer. If the chain saw comes out so does the stump spray bottle.

Last edited:
I like remedy and a hatchet for our black locust - our results with Tordon RTU were like you described, tree died temporarily but 1000 sprouts later it was a forest again

Ok...... Talked to forester and then went to chemical shop and talked to them. Going with Remedy ultra. Mixed 1 gallon to remedy to 3 gallons #2 diesel. Spray bottom 18" of tree. No hatchet.

Go time.
e92ee750d1c1cba6c789edbfe1b2583d.jpg

Ok...... Talked to forester and then went to chemical shop and talked to them. Going with Remedy ultra. Mixed 1 gallon to remedy to 3 gallons #2 diesel. Spray bottom 18" of tree. No hatchet.

Go time.
e92ee750d1c1cba6c789edbfe1b2583d.jpg

Where is this “chemical shop” you went to? I tried hack and squirt using crossbow last winter and it didn’t do much of anything.

Go time.

Would that "recipe" vary depending upon what time of the year it would be applied? Summer, winter, etc.?

Where is this “chemical shop” you went to? I tried hack and squirt using crossbow last winter and it didn’t do much of anything.

Mathes seed & chemical in Lorimor. Mostly went there so I could talk to them as they seem to know more than most. Remedy ultra is sold at a lot of the co-op as well.

Mathes seed & chemical in Lorimor. Mostly went there so I could talk to them as they seem to know more than most. Remedy ultra is sold at a lot of the co-op as well.

Thanks. I drive through Lorimor on the way to my place. I’ll check there.

Go time.

Yup, you beat me to it. I always used a hatchet on anything larger than my thumb, which was way over kill but I wanted to make sure the tree soaked it up. Trying basal bark treatments with the mix you've mentioned above is what I want to try this year. I'm curious how big of a tree a guy can do this on?

Top Bottom