Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Timber wind damage

BJohnson

Our farm sustained wind damage this am. The worst damage is one 20 acre area of the farm where some of our better white oaks were located. I saw downed trees to some degree throughout most of the farm but not as bad as this 20 acre portion. Some trees are down but many have snapped off tops.

For those that may have experienced this situation, what are some good next steps from both a habitat and salvage/cleanup/safety perspective.

Last edited:
Deer love to bed in downed tops of trees provided there in the right locations . ridge tops ,points. Ect. You can always drag to a better location ! And position where u want them !!

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

That’s such a bummer.
U could later log those trees that are horribly damaged at tops. I took down some damaged walnuts early this summer & they did fine for selling. I’d guess some might just be toast but u sure have that option for selling damaged trees. Good news- I agree with above- overall - it’s probably good news for hunting as crazy as that is.

Only 1 course of action in that case - sell the farm (cheap). I might know a guy looking for a farm. ;)

On a serious note, that sucks! Some positive may come out of it, but losing white oak timber is tough - I love that kind of timber.

"Only 1 course of action in that case - sell the farm (cheap). I might know a guy looking for a farm. ;)"

Lol - Nice try "Buddy". :D

I agree with the guys above. Our ground was hit with some serious wind years back and the guys that hunted it back when it was “clean” said the deer didn’t really like it. The deer are a lot thicker in there now.

I will say if you knew how the deer where moving through there before, it will all be different now. Like one of the other guys said though, this is an opportunity to make trails and bedding areas for them to use

Top Bottom