Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Took a Rookie and we Doubled

JOSHBRNDT

My buddy who owns some ground has never been turkey hunting. Didn't even have a shotgun, so I let him borrow one that I had. We got to the field around 5:00 and to the spot I wanted to set up on his land. Needless to say we were in the money. There were 7 to 10 gobblers going crazy this morning. When they landed they went away from us so we started to move. We got to a big ditch and as he was looking around in the mud at all the turkey tracks. I broke out the ole box call. I noticed a gobbler come sprinting out of the timber about 400 yds. I turned to him and said you done playing in the dirt or do you want to shoot a turkey. Needless to say this bird gets held up at about 150yds. What we didn't realize was there were about 15 birds around the corner and about half of them were gobblers. We made a move to cut the distance and then it got crazy. There were 2 gobblers about 30 yds and all we could see were their fans. Then three walked by us out of range and started strutting at about 100 yds. Well one of them made a bad move as he decided he had had enough and was coming in on a string. He got to 60 yds and my buddy, who has never hunted said I have an open shot. I being a little more seasoned told him to be patient. Well like I said he was on a string. When he got to 35 yards, I said take him. He made a great shot as the bird piled up. My buddy got up to run down to the bird but I grabbed him and said sit down that other gobbler is running in. Now this is where it got nuts. He came in and started pecking and jumping on the bird. Well I had to move around a tree to get a shot. Needless to say there are 2 less birds in Iowa. His weighed 22lbs with 1/2 inch spurs and 9.5 inch beard. Mine was 22 lbs 10 3/4 inch beard and 1 3/8 spurs.
It was a fun morning to take a newbie hunting and have him kill his first bird but it was even better to fill my tag as well. Now to get my wife her 4th season bird and who ever else wants me to go with them. :drink2:

Here's both Birds
picture.php

Here's mine
picture.php

Here's the spurs on mine
picture.php

Top Bottom