Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Toxic waste muck hole turned into a nice pond!!!!

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Finished today!!!!!! Gonna add structure & rock, sand, etc. All above this pond will be seeded down forever so very little erosion. It’s next to my place - finally got tired of the “stinky, nasty, mucky, disgusting frog pond”. Here’s a few snap shots…. Beginning to end. I did water trees out of it during drought of 2017. Smelled so nasty. Well- today, the MUCK IS GONE!!! 25’ deep now. .77 acres on the dot. Very low cost relatively speaking. All for the kids (& my nose & getting rid of eye sore ;).).
May be a while before it’s full but kinda nice to wrap up. Time to “decorate” with structure & making shore nice. What else for kids? Ideas??? Zip line? Bridge? Any input or ideas appreciated!
97BB6C99-FF7D-47AD-8380-7F2705EE6189.jpeg
C3863A01-ACF9-474C-BF46-449412DD4824.jpeg
AB616ABB-8042-46D6-9FBC-5B248DFC17CE.jpeg
352F47BF-248C-43A8-BF5A-D4B2FFBAFD77.jpeg
C195CF85-EC3C-4F4B-A0AD-2CF52E24CA57.jpeg
F13DFCBF-B71E-4CB7-A456-068E480E5949.jpeg
6FE380FC-EBF9-4489-87E1-2CFFBF1553DC.jpeg
44C8BD6B-B523-4487-B04E-04E800130FB8.jpeg
55D354D7-CD1A-4287-B526-4867E4AD9CEB.jpeg

D41C5E41-9D7A-4F78-B216-183FA52113C2.jpeg

Last edited:
Deffinately needs a dock of some sort and one of those floating foam pond mats once its full. If its primarily a swimming pond I would be hesitant to add bluegill, those little suckers can bite you harder than you think.

Nice work Skip! I read that as 77 acres at first and thought "this is Skip... so that's realistic". haha Sweet little pond, definitely going to be a fun one for the family!

Deffinately needs a dock of some sort and one of those floating foam pond mats once its full. If its primarily a swimming pond I would be hesitant to add bluegill, those little suckers can bite you harder than you think.
DUDE!!!! No joke was floating in my pond this weekend and one of those fuckers bite my nipple hard! Def biters!!!!

Here’s a random one on fish…. My buddy has a smallmouth only pond that’s smaller than this. He put rock in and he uses that pond to stock other ponds every year. I’d love to do that but I would want to put in fish that won’t out-compete smallmouth so they can reproduce well. Clearly no largemouth or crappie.
want it to be fish pond for kids…. It’s deep & structure & rock will be there…. Smallmouth + minnows. What else could I add??? I’m sure perch would be fine. How about catfish??? Those are always fun & delicious! Trying to come up with a unique combo that might work.

Here’s a random one on fish…. My buddy has a smallmouth only pond that’s smaller than this. He put rock in and he uses that pond to stock other ponds every year. I’d love to do that but I would want to put in fish that won’t out-compete smallmouth so they can reproduce well. Clearly no largemouth or crappie.
want it to be fish pond for kids…. It’s deep & structure & rock will be there…. Smallmouth + minnows. What else could I add??? I’m sure perch would be fine. How about catfish??? Those are always fun & delicious! Trying to come up with a unique combo that might work.
Awesome pond!!!

my thoughts:
fathead minnows as soon as you have enough water. Then yellow perch, redear sunfish, hybrid bluegill, catfish, then Walleyes(and or smallmouths) 6 months later. Just did my new pond this way. No crappie, bluegill or bass.

Smallmouth and perch would be awesome. Walleye would be cool but you’ll have to continually restock as they don’t reproduce enough to sustain their population in a pond unless you add water circulators that will create a current in the pond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I frequently drive by pond that has a floating "fountain" in the middle. Looks kind of neat and might also aerate. Sounds like you might be close to a power source....

I frequently drive by pond that has a floating "fountain" in the middle. Looks kind of neat and might also aerate. Sounds like you might be close to a power source....
I do have a power source close.... Lemme ask you and all this.... Are those ponds that are aerated a lot cleaner? In Iowa. Is there a need? If there is- I'm very interested. Again, this pond is muck free, will have a good bit of rock & sand. 25' deep. Little to no erosion going into it.
I want my kids to have a nice clean place to swim for sure. Thanks all!!!

I do have a power source close.... Lemme ask you and all this.... Are those ponds that are aerated a lot cleaner? In Iowa. Is there a need? If there is- I'm very interested. Again, this pond is muck free, will have a good bit of rock & sand. 25' deep. Little to no erosion going into it.
I want my kids to have a nice clean place to swim for sure. Thanks all!!!
Not sure how much cleaner that pond is, looked before they turned it on this summer. Looks a little better now.

Odd timing, I got a postcard from these guys yesterday: https://streamside.us/products/algae-bioreactor/

That is all I know about that (Forrest says).

I ordered some Soilfloc from these guys and remembered they sold some pond clarifying stuff: https://www.thepondreport.com/store/muck-removal-products

GOING TO READ!!!!! RESEARCH!!!!!
Let me guess.... You have a hidden side job as a pond clean up salesman now?!?! ;):po_O:)
Dang it, now I'm reading scholarly articles on " Algae-Bioreactor System". HA!!!! I'm gonna look into this & do more homework tonight.

Smallmouth and perch should work in your pond, lots of guys on pond boss doing that mix. The bacteria and pond dye I mentioned on another thread should keep it clean and looking good for 2-300 bucks a year.

Top Bottom