Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tractor Tire Ballast & Flat Prevention

Brett Morris

PMA Member
I just bought a newer John Deere 5075E to use on our farm. I have loved it so far but I’ve gotta get some weight added for mowing and working on rougher terrain. I’m new to the tractor ownership world & based on research it appears adding tire ballast is the best way to go. Has anybody found a ballast fluid that also provides flat protection that they’d recommend? My farm is full of locust so preventing flats is also super important to me. Open to any/all suggestions!!

Congrats, a 5075E looks like a handy sized tractor.
The only thing I know of that will prevent flats is to have them foamed but you better be prepared for a rough riding sob if you go that route. I've owned some equipment with foamed tires and I would never do it personally.
If you get a lot of flats I wouldn't recommend regular tire fluid either as you'll have a mess on your hands every time you have a flat. Calcium chloride is used in most tire fluid and is very corrosive, not something you want all over your tractor. I think some shops use beet juice or something like that which wouldn't be corrosive but you still have an expensive mess every time you get a flat.
Wheel weights wont prevent flats but they also wouldn't be a hinderance when you get one. They're likely your simplest solution.

I’ve never had a rear tractor flat due to locust, only front tires. I ran over a shed drilling beans that punctured a rear tire and had calcium chloride spraying all over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What others said is what I've heard. I don't know of a tire fluid that adds weight and would prevent flats. Beet juice or -20 Windshield washer fluid (although not as heavy per gallon) are what I've heard being used for the ballast. Some can also flip their rims to get a wider stance to add stability on side hills.
I have lots of locust as well and went with wheel weights for those reasons mentioned. Place out of Texas had them for a lot less than jd wanted.

I got commercial grade sealant that’s awesome. Water soluble so good to go if need a repair. I can link it if needed. Really good. Can take 1/2” punctures.

I put 4 or 5 inch wheel spacers on my tractor to move rear wheels out in order to put chains on. Also provides more stability. Makes a difference in my opinion.

Skip, i would appreciate a link to the tire sealant if you dont mind. I have had tire shop put stuff in atv and atv trailer tires before but very expensive to have them do.

Have you considered this?

Screenshot_20210921-154843_Chrome.jpg

Amerseal is the way to go, amazing stuff. My farm is loaded with locust trees and I would get flats all the time. Tire repair shop I go to told me they would give me my money back if it didnt work and two year and many thorns later and I mean like multiple thorns between every lug, I have yet to put a pound of air in those tires.

Top Bottom