Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

transplanting hardwoods

Curious on the success rate for transplanting 1 to 2 foot white oaks. Would you dig or pull them?
Are they dormant? I’d only do during dormancy. As much of root system as possible. I haven’t done very many so not best resource on this one. Interested at how it goes!

I may just throw some cages around some choice trees in choice locations where they are growing now and clean up the area around them, then just buy some bare root from the state in the spring for other parts of the farm. I couldn't buy a plain white oak this year from the state.
This time of year I would do cuttings.
I'll have to try this...do you put them in water first?

Limited success digging up oaks ! Tube or cage a natural young oak tree and it will take off !

Limited success digging up oaks ! Tube or cage a natural young oak tree and it will take off !
Same, it's amazing how long of a tap root a foot tall oak has. I've gotten some to take after transplanting, but they seem to struggle a lot more than the ones I'm able to just leave and fence.

I'll have to try this...do you put them in water first?
I usually just take young stems and bury about 2/3rds in soft moist soil. My experience is mostly with the easy stuff though like willow and poplar. With cuttings, the way I look at it you have nothing to lose. If you try a dozen or so and a few get roots

Top Bottom