Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

tree stand noise

I have been hunting out of our ladder stands that we have put up and the last couple times i have went to the stand that we have across a river, When i get in my stand i dont have a problem but as the day goes and my boots dry the mud and garbage start to fall off and through the bottom grate, I had this happen as i drew on my buck and as sson as something hit the step he jolted and spotted me.
What do you guys do to help prevent this, i am thinking of zip tying some carpet samples to the bottom

Same thing "almost" happened to me back in the '81. The mud didn't spook the big broot out but it did get his attention. I subsequently missed what I consider the biggest buck I ever drew on. (Was so excited I didn't follow through...I peeked and shot under him)
The issue with carpet is when it gets wet and freezes then you got a serious problem. Plus it really reeks. All I have ever been able to do is grab the stick and get as much as possible out of the grooves. Just part of the challenge. Good luck.

I thought about this some time ago. I haven't done anything yet, but I plan to spray the foot platform with a rubber coating. Like bed liner or undercoating. Let it sit outside for a while so it doesn't ruin your scent control. Then place a rubber mat directly under the foot platform to catch anything that falls through the crack. You could also use just a simple truck floor mat.Place it on top of the foot platform. Just drill some holes in it so water can flow through. Attack with zip ties or something. I've actually caught my boot tread on the grate before and made some noise. Also, I put gorilla glue camo tape around those pins that hold the ladder sections together so they don't ting while I climb.

Last edited:
We use artic shield boot covers. They're designed as slippers for your boots to keep your feet warm but they do a great job solving the mud issue too.

I have Muck boots and never had any problems like that. Maybe on your next pair check out the tread

it is mainly the stuff dropping off and hitting the ladder or ground that i am concerned about andi may have to make something for the underside of the platform
thanks for the input

i dont do anything...stuff falls from trees all the time...they dont know the difference

True but if they are weary, they will look. And once they look your direction and you're in a ladder stand, which aren't very far off the ground typically, they've got you nailed. Especially true if they had smelled you a little, but not enough to alert them at first.

Top Bottom