Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

tree tube posts/stakes

acorn roadster

I'm looking at tubing some more trees this fall and looking for thoughts on stakes/posts to support the tubes. In the past we've used PVC conduit and planned on doing that again, but the price is a lot higher currently. 1/2" fiberglass rebar was recommended to me, has anyone use that? I've used old t-posts before but I don't have enough of those for what I would need. Would like posts that will last a long time so looking to avoid wood stakes probably.
Also, anybody use shorter stakes on long tubes with success? Like a 5 foot tube with only 3 foot of stake above grade? I've done that on a handful of tubes just to get by, one tube folded over at the top in the wind.
Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

I'm looking at tubing some more trees this fall and looking for thoughts on stakes/posts to support the tubes. In the past we've used PVC conduit and planned on doing that again, but the price is a lot higher currently. 1/2" fiberglass rebar was recommended to me, has anyone use that? I've used old t-posts before but I don't have enough of those for what I would need. Would like posts that will last a long time so looking to avoid wood stakes probably.
Also, anybody use shorter stakes on long tubes with success? Like a 5 foot tube with only 3 foot of stake above grade? I've done that on a handful of tubes just to get by, one tube folded over at the top in the wind.
Rebar is the cheapest, but there is no reason to buy fiberglass. Plain rebar works just fine. Rebar should be at least 6' long. I would not use short stuff.

I've used bamboo, white oak, plastic and metal conduit, rebar, and T-post. T-post were my favorite. Rebar was second. Just don't go too short, the top of the rebar (IMO ) should be just under 6" from the top of the tube. Too tall and it'll rub on the new growth and could kill the tree once it gets outside the tube. Too short and the top of the tube will fold over and tree dies.

Good luck! Tree plantings rock. My favorite project. Wish I could recall how to post pics here of some progress from tree plantings we've done. 9 years old planting and red and chinquapin oaks 20+ feet tall.

Avoid the fiberglass, very flimsy when pounding in the ground.
Highly recommend rebar, cut the 20' into 3 pieces

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I've used bamboo, white oak, plastic and metal conduit, rebar, and T-post. T-post were my favorite. Rebar was second. Just don't go too short, the top of the rebar (IMO ) should be just under 6" from the top of the tube. Too tall and it'll rub on the new growth and could kill the tree once it gets outside the tube. Too short and the top of the tube will fold over and tree dies.

Good luck! Tree plantings rock. My favorite project. Wish I could recall how to post pics here of some progress from tree plantings we've done. 9 years old planting and red and chinquapin oaks 20+ feet tall.

if the top of the tube folds over, is it a heat/ventilation problem? What I'm tubing right now is pretty short so it'll be a couple years before they run out of room.

I've enjoyed all of your posts and pics over the last couple years, it's awesome seeing them finally getting some height!

if the top of the tube folds over, is it a heat/ventilation problem? What I'm tubing right now is pretty short so it'll be a couple years before they run out of room.

I've enjoyed all of your posts and pics over the last couple years, it's awesome seeing them finally getting some height!

If the top folds over before the tree has grown out the top the tree will die. It has no room to grow up anymore.

I've also seen the tops of the tubes folder over after the tree has already grown outside of the tube, above the top. They're pretty flimsy those first few weeks once they grow past the top and can't hold themselves up. They rely on the tube to help hold them. If the tube gives way then the tree will fold in half and slowly die. I've found many this way and have braced them back up and they do just fine but if left folder over they'll certainly die.

I'm not sure what tubes your planning on using, but I found it cheaper to get the Plantra tubes and stakes from Red Fern Farm in Wapello. Its $5 for a 5' tube and the fiberglass stake and they usually throw in a pounder. I have put in roughly 200 of these and they seem to be working well over the last 3-4 years. The only issue I have is Wasps building nests in the top of the tubes, then the coon tear down the tube to get to the wasp nest.

Not sure if they are cheaper. I used 1/2" Electrical Conduit bought 10 ft sticks and cut them in half.
I have used 2 types of tubes Best were 5 Ft vented from Timber Mgmt in Robins, IA the others were one that came in the flat and you put together using built in straps. These were terrible, wind would blow them open.

The biggest issue using tubes was the tree depending on the tubes for support, they grow tall and spindly quickly but have no strength to stand up with out the tube.
If you are tubing trees in a bottom, where the river will flood into you planting the tree debris will wash over your tubes and stakes and flatten them

I used rebar & pvc…. Both I had issues with the tube spinning. Killed some trees. Since then - I use same thing but I add a cheap fiberglass rod on the opposite side as well. So- 2 stakes. It costs very little for a 100 pack of fiberglass stakes & extra zip ties.

I always do bird netting on top. I did it one year without & found dead birds on there. :(. Always do bird netting. Costs next to nothing and takes 10 seconds.

Not sure if they are cheaper. I used 1/2" Electrical Conduit bought 10 ft sticks and cut them in half.
I have used 2 types of tubes Best were 5 Ft vented from Timber Mgmt in Robins, IA the others were one that came in the flat and you put together using built in straps. These were terrible, wind would blow them open.

The biggest issue using tubes was the tree depending on the tubes for support, they grow tall and spindly quickly but have no strength to stand up with out the tube.
If you are tubing trees in a bottom, where the river will flood into you planting the tree debris will wash over your tubes and stakes and flatten them

Yeah the conduit is what I'd prefer to use, but there must be a shortage right now, it is 3x more expensive than in the past and stores are limiting how many you can buy at a time. I'll either go with this or rebar, just looking for least expensive good option.

I'll second Timber Mgmt in Robins, great tubes and great service!

Top Bottom