Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

tree tubes and hazelnuts

LoessHillsArcher

PMA Member
We are in the process of putting in a last minute order for trees and shrubs. We've got some hazelnuts and wild plums down on the order along with white oak. Just wondering since we are using tree tubes on the white oak would it be wise to use them on the hazelnuts or wild plums? I know these two are listed under shrubs but they seem more like a small tree to me, just making out a budget and needed to know how many tubes and stakes to order. Thanks

Re: tree tubes and hazlenuts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hazlenuts or wild plums? </div></div>

My hazelnuts were pretty "wiry" if you know what I mean...kinda tangly so I'm not sure that they would fit well in tubes but maybe?

Most shrubs grow pretty fast and are to "shrubby" for tubes.

I have mostly used tubes for oaks, chestnuts and apples but I don't want to say that they wouldn't be beneficial to other trees. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I was trying to find pictures on internet but had in mind they would be more of a tree with a main trunk but they do have more bush like appearance. I think we'll give it a shot without a tree tube. Thanks Paul

I wouldn't try to tube the shrubs. A wire cage would probably help them more. Shrubs can take browseing and keep coming back. Hazelnuts in particular can die back one year and grow back from the root next season. All of mine did but are doing great now. Don't give up on them.

I used them on Hazels till they get to large then put a welded wire cage around it. Mine are slow growing. I need to get rid of more of the grasses around them and a little food in order for this year.
Rabbits like them when small.

Top Bottom