Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tree Tubes

Habitat1

I purchased tree pro tree tubes mainly for adding chestnuts to the property over the years. It was recommended to get 6' tubes, to help with deer reaching above them and browsing so that's what I went with. It seems like a fair amount of people use the tubes for chestnuts here, but what about other types of trees? I planted some young (1-2 feet tall) apple, crabapple, and persimmon trees this spring in tubes. After reading posts here, should I stay clear of the tubes for those fruit trees and go with aluminum screen on the stake instead? Thank you

I purchased tree pro tree tubes mainly for adding chestnuts to the property over the years. It was recommended to get 6' tubes, to help with deer reaching above them and browsing so that's what I went with. It seems like a fair amount of people use the tubes for chestnuts here, but what about other types of trees? I planted some young (1-2 feet tall) apple, crabapple, and persimmon trees this spring in tubes. After reading posts here, should I stay clear of the tubes for those fruit trees and go with aluminum screen on the stake instead? Thank you
I use them for all. I don’t use them for bigger apple & pear trees- I cage those & use screen & latex paint.
I use them for chestnut (vent a little more aggressively on chestnut), crabapple & bunch of things I grow from seed.... only thing I’d change...
Ive had issues with 1 stake alone. Now I use 2 stakes (one is small or just to secure it) so the tubes cannot spin from wind. Had a bugger of a time with that until I added second stake. 2nd: I don’t like em on persimmons. & a few other trees. Gets “too hot” maybe??? Not sure but they don’t do as well. Chestnuts will be ok but need more venting. Ive had some trees “cook” in them until I vented them a bit more. A bit lower. & check up on them every couple weeks.
last: during deer season - some bucks push mine over. I watch for that. Doesn’t happen a ton but does happen. In those areas- I put a quick cheap cage around the tube.
all this stuff really is easy. Just takes little tlc.
That’s my 2 cents.

Thanks for the info! I was drilling some extra holes in them lower mainly from reading some about that helping cold/frosty air flow get out better for chestnut and persimmon which I heard have a little higher risk freezing out (even more risk on persimmon). Based on what you say though, I will probably pull the tubes off the persimmon and try caging/screening them. What I also didn't know about the tubes being 6 feet is if by the time certain trees got that tall, they wanted to grow out and couldn't so choked themselves out in there - but maybe that's where the venting comes into play?
Also, do I do the the latex paint for the trees within the tubes?

Thanks again!

We like tubes. Nothing is perfect, but they seem to protect about as good as anything. We cut notches up from the bottom to help ventilate and eliminate mice from nesting. Then when the trees are strong enough, we pull the stakes and hang the tube from a branch with a zip tie.

I don’t use latex on trees like persimmon, etc. just on apple & pear in full sun. The ventilation mentioned here is really good advice on certain trees.

Top Bottom