Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trespasser caught on camera

mzldr4life

What do you guys do, or would you do, if you catch a trespasser on your camera? Post it on here in hopes of finding out who they are, or send to the local conservation officer? Want to know the proper way of going about it. Really frustrating having someone walk all over your land that you spend a lot of time and money on managing it.

Depends on your situation... We had a HUGE trespass problem when we first bought a property. Literally 30 vehicles a month were visiting, since we had license plates, we sent to the DNR and he sent them all written warnings. The follow month, it was 7. The DNR paid all of them a visit. No problems after that.
Now a different property where its only foot traffic, we have posted online and printed and hung in the local grocery stores. It embarrasses that person if they see it, plus lets them know you are watching. The signs simply said "Do you know this Trespasser? Call us at xxx-xxxx" A guy called swearing up and down he had permission for the last 10 years, but didnt realize he was on the wrong ridge. The guy was open and honest, felt dumb, and realized it after a conversation. No charges filed, the guy never has been back.

If you know who they are, I'd suggest utilizing your county officer. If you are looking to ID, I'd post it anywhere I could with the hopes of someone knowing who it is and hopefully it would embarrass the crap out of the trespasser if they saw it. Post it here, Iowa sportsman, hunting pages on facebook, local buy/sell/trade pages on facebook etc. etc.

Depends on your situation...

Totally agree. ^^ There are a million different scenarios and I would lean very hard towards starting off easy peasy with folks and then "working your way" up the ladder if the "nice guy" approach doesn't work. I could write a book here, but don't have that time right now. :)

We bought our farm about 15-16 years ago and at that time we knew no one personally that lived really close to it. We were "outsiders" in that sense. I determined to develop relationships and friendships with the "neighbors" wherever possible and now, many years later, I am happy to say that we have developed long lasting friendships with people in the area of our farm and in a large sense, they watch over it more than we can.

If you come in "guns blazing", you are not likely to have as much enjoyment as you would if you take the friendly route. Now then, if working with people on a friendly basis doesn't work...there is a time to escalate things IMO. Some, but very few, people do not seem to be able to get the message without taking a firm stand, etc.

Totally agree. ^^ There are a million different scenarios and I would lean very hard towards starting off easy peasy with folks and then "working your way" up the ladder if the "nice guy" approach doesn't work. I could write a book here, but don't have that time right now. :)

We bought our farm about 15-16 years ago and at that time we knew no one personally that lived really close to it. We were "outsiders" in that sense. I determined to develop relationships and friendships with the "neighbors" wherever possible and now, many years later, I am happy to say that we have developed long lasting friendships with people in the area of our farm and in a large sense, they watch over it more than we can.

If you come in "guns blazing", you are not likely to have as much enjoyment as you would if you take the friendly route. Now then, if working with people on a friendly basis doesn't work...there is a time to escalate things IMO. Some, but very few, people do not seem to be able to get the message without taking a firm stand, etc.

I would agree with Daver. You can always take the hard route if the nice way doesn't work. I think one of the most important things you can do is make friends with your neighbors. The extra sets of eyes on your place will really help.

Send pic to game warden... plus Facebook??

We did that one year in Warren County. CO made a visit to his house.

Im gonna give my 2 cents here. Im a police officer and this is how Trespass notices are handled at least on a county or city pd level. You, if you are the owner, or if the owner of the property is willing has to sign a trespass notice and it is signed by the trespasser. You can set a trespass notice for either a year or for life. You will need the name of the trespasser, his address and personal information at least. If you know who it is the name is enough because it can be looked up. The State of Iowa changed the penalty sometime this year too. It used to be if you broke the trespass you went to jail but now its all turned into a citation or ticket. Kinda wish they didnt change it to that bc people dont tend to learn from it as well a jail time.

• Deleted by IaPaleoHuntr
  • Reason: Doesn’t fit narrative
Show…
I'd do both. This day in age, there is little excuse to trespass with assessor sites and GPS' on phones to pinpoint locations. 100 yards across a property line is one thing, but knowingly walking deep all over someone else's property drives me nuts.

Buddy said he had a blind on his fence that they shoot across fence and then walk into his ground when they know he’s not around. We practiced last night on starting on the blind. Taking the Suttle & light approach before escalating worse than this - as he’d still like to remain friends with the neighbor after. One practice run and have it down....
69b68490e541766b650e066d8390b489.jpg
100a84180d90fdcb2bdd0b807e5ae1db.jpg
56c6f3808fc9135085e20a1e61a3f00b.jpg
0259b92e12221d49de7b52d6a4b3dd0a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom